What Cell phone provider?

Discussion in 'Tablets, Phones and Music Players' started by Big B, Jun 14, 2006.

1. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

I'm exploring my options here, but I'm looking to get a service plan later this year.

I have the following companies available:
    -T-Mobile
    -Verizon
    -Cingular
    -Sprint PCS
    -US Cellular
    -Centennial Wireless
    -Nextel

Right now, I use a pre-pay with Virgin. They do have a monthly program, but the minutes aren't that impressive. I'm heavily leaning toward T-Mobile or Cingular based on the minutes in a $40/mo package, options, and customer support.
    If you've used any of the above providers, would you share your experiences with them. I think I recall Sprint PCS and US Celluar both having horrible customer service, but that may have chaged.

2. beretta9m2f

beretta9m2f Karate-Chop Action Gabe

I've used, Sprint, then T-Mobile, and now Cingular, i have many friends with Verizon. B it all depends on where you live. Find a friend and check out the reception in all the areas you normally go.

T mobile offers oodles of minutes, but where i live i either have zero bars of reception or one at max...sucked totally. As for their customer support? They actually told my friend he was using too many night and weekend minutes and that he had to switch to a higher plan...i thought nights and weekends were freee?!??... When i cancelled my service with them, they charged me a cancellation fee even though i had finished my contract...again.wtf??

Cingular- Currently using it and i am satisfied. If you don't use your minutes, they rollover, as i'm sure you've heard, but that REALLy comes in handy when after two months you've stored up an extra month's worth of minutes. Prices are as competitive as T-mobile, however extras like text messaging are more expensive. I've dealt with customer support at least 6 times about minute disputes in the early months (its been a year) they were always patient and readily available.

Sprint- despite the warnings of my friends when i was 18, which used to say "sprint sucks" i had sprint for a year. Back then, their minutes were very low, i paid 40 bucks for only 500 minutes and 3000 nights and weekends...no free nights back then. Now i believe they have merged with nextel, so they've changed a bunch of policies. They offer a tier system phone plan. If you use just about all of your minutes in your plan, they'll charge you your plan's rate. If you use considerably less, they'll charge you one plan lower than yours, and if you go over your mintes they won't charge you for minutes, instead you switch to a higher plan that month. so..lets say your plan is 40, and you go way over, you'll pay like 60 instead of 100 for going over. Sprint doesn't sound bad at all at this point. I was considering switching once my cingular contract was up.

Verizon- Well i personally have never used it, but all my friends with verizion say "Verizon is the shit!"....personally if you have outstanding credit, because they're sticklers for that, and i do mean outstanding, you'll be able to get verizon. Prices..ughh i don't think they give many minutes for 40 bucks a month. They're phones are mostly LG brand, which is good or bad depending on what your taste is. They do have good reception and a solid network, i've never dealt with their customer support and my friends generally just take whatever the company gives them, they never dispute issues. oh well.

My suggestion to you is to get Cingular or sprint is if you live in a large metropolitan area . If you're far away from large reception towers, then go for Verizon. I'm too mad at T-Mobile to suggest them :angry:
    Hope this helps ya B.

Beretta9m2f

3. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Thanks for the info. Every time I read into Cingular, they keep looking better and better, so I'm pretty sure I'll go with them. Right now, I'm looking at the Samsung D807 or Sony Ericsson Walkman i650, but I'm going to keep an eye on it and see what deals they have around the end of November.

4. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Scratch Cingular. Apparently, they're having major issues with their cell towers in my city. As much as I like them, what good is it to have a phone with bad cell connection around town.

Oh, well. Verizon seems to be pretty good here, so it's not like I have to settle for some crummy company. Natch.
    Credit won't be a problem since I always pay my bills on time, if not way before.