What is the best Video Card for rendering?

Discussion in 'Video Cards, Displays and TV Tuners' started by ahdrum, Feb 14, 2007.

1. ahdrum

ahdrum Geek Trainee

I do a lot of 3D rendering with programs such as 3D Studio Max, Rhinoceros, and Form-Z...I am just curious what the best video card is for this type of application. I am looking to build a new system specifically for rendering. Any insight would be helpful, thanks.

2. Impotence

Impotence May the source be with u!

I'm not sure if the graphics cards actually does the rendering... i would have thought it was done by the CPU (The results are displayed using your graphics card though, so you still want a decent card).

3. floorthecore

floorthecore Geek Trainee

I beleive your cpu, ram and video card will all have an effect on rendering.

4. ahdrum

ahdrum Geek Trainee

yes, they all do have an effect on it...I am just curious which video card is superior to the others for rendering. Somebody told me that the Quadro was the best, but I havent been able to verify that. Maybe someone can answer that.

5. ahdrum

ahdrum Geek Trainee

anybody know?

6. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

nVidia's Quadro and ATi's FireGL are workstation-oriented video cards. They're tweaked for precision rather than speed. 3D Labs is another big name, but I thought they were bought out a few years ago. In any case, their Wildcat series of cards would be what you'd want to look into as well. I'm assuming there won't be any gaming here, because, last time I'd seen anything on workstation cards, the Wildcat smoked all. However, this was quite a few years ago, so my knowledge of cards isn't nearly as good. Since there's a lot of professionals there, I'd poke around the video card section of 2CPU's forums. Use the search and pay attention to the likes of rmn, Murdock, and proffesso. (And, yes, I've posted on those forums a lot as well.)

7. ahdrum

ahdrum Geek Trainee

cool, thanks.