what is wrong with teac ???

Discussion in 'Storage Devices' started by xen_chris, Apr 6, 2003.

1. xen_chris

xen_chris Guest

my cd-rw 40x from teac just died on me after 7 months of use. everyone is swearing teac for their 48x and 52x series of cd-rw, and their 52x cd-rom is trully a joke.
    what is wrong with them ?? sometime ago their name was a warranty for its quality. now ??? just the opposite, i would add.
    why is this happening with teac, one of most respected cd-rw manufacturers ??

2. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

I haven't really heard of them being a problem. Must be your bad luck. I personally won't touch any optical drive from Memorex.

3. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

If you leave cds in your cd-rw even when you don't use it, it'll die faster.
    But 7 months is kinda quick for it to die.
    It should have lasted at least 2 years.

4. syngod

syngod Moderator

My experiences with Teac have been quite good. Of course you always have the occasional dud coming out of the factory which I'm guessing is what happened to you.

Your warranty should cover it, just be glad it isn't an HP. When I had my old HP7200 cd-rw took it into the store we'd bought it from quite often for 3 months before warranty was done and they kept sending us home saying it was a software problem and wouldn't send it into HP. The day the warranty was set to expire they finally decided to call HP and were told since it was on the expiry date they would not cover it.

With Teac I don't think you'll have the same problem.

5. xen_chris

xen_chris Guest

i believe the issue comes from teac's policy. for example, teac 48x does not exist on the american website of teac. and also teac 52x doesn't appear on the japanese website.
    but these two models are available in europe. how come, how long ?

6. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Might be a demand thing, or they simply vary their prodcuts by region.

7. Skaeleen

Skaeleen Geek Trainee

I've never dealt with them, but some of my freinds have.

They were renound for quality, but as for every product, somone gets chammed. Sometimes stuff liek that happened. My Old LG 12X CDRW Died within 9 months, and I barley bruend CD's on it. YET, I love LG products, best csuomer service, and my current CD-RW From them has lasted me a CRAPLONG time, they are amazing. Its like buying a CPU, you never know what it can do, until its in there. You cant see it visually how good it is, but when tis in there and you start to overclock, then you find out how good it is. Same with Cd-RW's. Sometimes its a hit and miss game. My Yamaha SCSI 12X still runs fine after 4 years.

Hit and miss my friend, CDRWs are so cheap. My suggestion is write a letter. Usually if they are nice, they will replace it, if not, well your screwed. Lite-On or plex is my next suggestions at 45$ USD go for Lite-on.

8. extreme4377

extreme4377 Big Geek

Hey
    I love my plexy! It burns soooo fast! Its great, the best CD-RW ive ever had! get a plexy

later

9. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member

me love my plexy too :) had it for soooo long now :)

10. Skaeleen

Skaeleen Geek Trainee

My Yamaha SCSI Will own all your pex's 12X had it since... '99. bets burner I ever had, Its in my other rig now. I just done like Converters and SCSI cards, i i decided to leave it out.