what linux 2 try ??

Discussion in 'Linux, BSD and Other OS's' started by xen_chris, Apr 6, 2003.

1. xen_chris

xen_chris Guest

i went through rh 7.3 = too instable 4 a rookie.
    slack 8.1 = too compact. (just one cd).
    mdk 9.0 =perfect.
    now, my question: should i try the new rh 9 or just come back to the one i enjoyed the most, meaning mdk 9 ?? cause i feel that none of these os, except perhapse mdk, doesn't suite me. or i just should install one and try to understand it to the big end ??

2. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

Well from what I heard, Mandrake is the easiest to use.
    So if you want an hassle-free install with the good looking desktop, go for it.
    If you want something that is closer to UNIX, then go for Slackware, and you will truly learn how it works.
    Then you have everything in between !

3. xen_chris

xen_chris Guest

about the mdk i knew it was well known for its easy to install. about the slack i couldn't figure why is so .. cryptic.
    if i do install and mdk and slack my system will become very instable ?? mdk first and then slack, or the other way around ??

4. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Slackware is a more 'advanced' distribution of Linux, if you will. I haven't done a dual-boot with different distributions of Linux, so I can't comment how they'll work together.

Linux is pretty stable. For a Linux n00b, I'd go with Mandrake because of ease of setup. If your more geeky, you could try a different distro, or even FreeBSD (if you're brave enough).
    I've heard Suse is pretty good, but it's not exactly one I hear is for n00bs. It is a Debian-type distro as opposed to the RedHat Package Manager (RPM) distros like RedHat (duh) and Mandrake.

I'm not that knowledgeable in Linux right now, but I highly recommend Mandrake. If you're just learning, you can always wipe the disk or partition and start over or try another distro.

5. xen_chris

xen_chris Guest

thx 4 your sayings. but what do you mean by rpm and debian=type distro ?? is there a difference in packing the modules or what ?? the install process is a lot different ? or the update method is different ??
    and is true what i heard, that some commands work only in rh for example, and not in mdk ?? the fact that linux is under gnu license doesn't mandatory mean that a program written on a distro is also available elsewhere ?? (in other distros i mean)