What my new case will look like.

Discussion in 'Cases, Modding and Gallery' started by BUFAMAL0, Nov 14, 2005.

1. BUFAMAL0

BUFAMAL0 Geek Trainee

Actually, four months of research into what I wanted my case to look like seems like enough, but you know, maybe I should have gone a full ten? And I am not doubling back, I am simply answering your questions. If I remeber correctly, you said the shield was going to diminish air flow, because the shield would block air from being pushed OUT. This is where I corrected you in saying that the air was being sucked in, for the fans I was clearly talking about were in the front. Then you talked of how my vacuum was flawed, then once again I replied, knowing that I would not have a full force vacuum, but something of the sort. You see, my fans anyway will create this sort of a vacuum, because there are 2 80s that suck air in for the case(the other sucks air to a thermal hood to my cpu), which from my research should be pulling in around 58-60 cfm. My 2 120s on the top will be pushing out around 120 cfm (58-60 for each fan), creating a vacuum EFFECT, but not a true vacuum. The shield is merely for aesthetics, not to create a vacuum, which is why I said the shield will be .5-1" off the case, so it would not interfere with airflow as much as it would being <.5" away. You see, even without the shield, there will be a vacuum effect, because there is a deficit between the 120 duo and the 80 duo, by about 60 cfm. This is where the vacuum is created, the shield just hides those ugly fans up front. And yes, there may be a tad bit of poor airflow, but this can be solved by purchasing another fan to put in the front to even out the cfm deficit, preferably an 80, so there would only be a 30 cfm difference. What ever the case, I don't care if you think that this will have poor airflow, because I have already tested it once, and got the temp in the case to below 20 degrees celsius. My case now that has 3x 80s just in the back has a temp on the inside of around 30 degrees celsius, so post however much you want because frankly, I dont care. ;)

2. Tracekill

Tracekill Geek Trainee

So are you going for a vacuum or are you trying to maintain airflow.

3. BUFAMAL0

BUFAMAL0 Geek Trainee

I know you'll hate this answer, but I am trying to go for both, or a little of each. I know that it may sound stupid, but it really is what I'm trying to go for. Maybe just maybe I'll lean towards airflow more, but who knows. earlier post didn't mean anything, your opinion really did make me realize that I had a flaw, and I hope to somewhat correct it.

Thanks,
    -BUFAMAL0

4. Willz

Willz MiCrO$oFt $uK$ :D

How do you have a vacuum and an airflow in the same case :s, you must have to block one part off from the other part lol, if it is leaning more towards airflor, then the case wont have a vacuum in, if you block everyhting off, and just have 2 fans sucking out, it still wont be a vacuum, your going to need no fans sucking out, well, now fans at all, you might aswell, have no fans on it, make it tottaly sealed, then stick it in a freezer.

5. BUFAMAL0

BUFAMAL0 Geek Trainee

Nope, your logic sucks. the case would have a vacuum if you had two fans JUST sucking out. But now the freezer idea sounds cool...( no pun intended:))
    Anyways, I don't think I'm going to discuss cooling anymore because I feel confident that my setup will work. I am probably going to go for airflow now that I think of it, so ignore any post before this.

Sorry for any stress related anxiety relating to this thread. :)

Ok, now that the cooling discussion seems to be down, Im going to talk about my paint scheme. First, as background, my case is named after my first computer, sort of a reincarnation I guess. SABRE will have a scheme where a dark, almost crimson red will start at the bottom right of the case, fading into a black. I'm going for the very subtle change, so that when you look at it, you think "wow... another black case", but then when you get closer, you notice that the red fades to black, and you think "OMG! WTF! TEH R3D CHANGED TO BLACK!!!!1". yep that's the effect I want on the outside. On the inside I am hoping to have a cold cathode that is red, and the back wall of the inside I am going to paint to look like molten lava, cracking through a black, terrible crust. This will be the hardest, for I am going to have to airbrush... this will be one of the most important too, because the cracks will simulate the reincarnation of my first computer. Those pics in the first post are out the window because I though the blue would be a tad too light. So the window side, which has a sabre on it will now look like it is cracking from intense heat, and being backlit by the cold cathode. I sure hope this paint project will work out.
    Post your thoughts. :D

Turns out today I was pretty productive on the case. I am now going to use a 145w psu to power my lights, fans, and anything not related to core components. The core components are going to be powered by a 550w psu I have from a previous case. Measured the temp in my case now that has 3 80s in it and it came out to 29c/70f, so my new case should be a LOT better. I made some mounts where my DVD drive and fan controller will go. I am planning to stealth the DVD drive, and have the nuke switch from my previous post right beside the fan controller. I now also have a floor and ceiling for my case, the ceiling now has 2 120mm slots, so there's no turning back now....

6. Byrnie

Byrnie Geek Trainee

woah took me a while to read that lot. looks really good though. Keep us posted

7. Tracekill

Tracekill Geek Trainee

It may look alright but the cooling is going to melt all of its innards out.

8. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

It shouldn't, I've seen cases with almost no cooling run okay.

9. Tracekill

Tracekill Geek Trainee

Yes but it depends on the parts. More modern and advanced parts generate more heat. If he has anything newer than about 1998 the crapped up heating he has is not going to allow him to run more than notepad.

10. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

He's got intake, he's got fans blowing out, I really can't see why that would be a problem, he's not creating a total vacuum just a very slight vacuum effect.

11. BUFAMAL0

BUFAMAL0 Geek Trainee

Well, you're still sooo persistent on telling me that my cooling sucks. You my friend, are an idiot. My 3800+ is running at 113 degrees farenheit in the case I have now which has three exhaust fans, that's right, no intake whatsoever except for the cracks in between the drives. The three are 80s, and the temp in the computer's acse while idle is 70+/- degrees, only jumping to 80 when I'm running HL2 or Chaos Theory. Believe me, you are a total idiot. The inside of my case won't get any hotter on the inside than a mild Florida day. Just shut up, and leave my sweet cooling system alone, because you are wrong.

Anyways, the case is now getting the annoying grain look out of it by me applying some putty to the sides and sanding and repeating, then finally painting. This will be the longest part of the build. Other than that, I've got everything drilled, and planned out for the future endeavor which awaits me(along with my soooo sweet cooling system).

12. BUFAMAL0

BUFAMAL0 Geek Trainee

Thanks for your support. Welcome to the cause to make me fell good inside. Now, to begin our tour, you will see the forum idiot has posted 3 times before this, other than that, have a nice stay. :)

13. BUFAMAL0

BUFAMAL0 Geek Trainee

Ok, well it seems that the case is going in the right direction, I have gotten some help from my dad, who has on his days off(every day, he's retired) sanded some of the putty and stuff so the sides are now soooo uber smooth it's unbelievable. I want to go for a textured look on the inside of the case, so I am going to mix latex and oil paint together myself(pre-made stuff is really $$$), and hopefully make the insides to look like the inside of a volcano, or molten rock I guess. Anyways, I hope to have the case done by the end of March, when Oblivion is planned to come out. Other than that, there reallly is not that much to talk about.

14. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Sweet dude, sounds like you've got a real beaty on your hands. Thanks for keeping us posted and have fun! (and for the record I never doubted your case would remain plenty cool:good:)