What shall i get?????

Discussion in 'New Build / Upgrade Advice' started by Pimp, Dec 9, 2007.

1. Pimp

Pimp Captain of USS Defiant

Hello people

I'm going to get my self a new rig after Xmas the reason it's after Xmas and not during lol is because i get money as well as presents and i have some money saved up so i will be able to get my self a new comp. Anyways this is what I'm planing on getting need some advice if i should get these or have i missed anything:

(i already have an OS windows vista 64bit. also got mouse and keyboard)

Mobo = Abit IX38 QuadGT
    Memory = OCZ 8GB PC2-6400 800MHZ
    Hard Drive = Samsung spin point 500GB
    PSU = OCZ GameXstream 600W
    Case = Kandalf LCS (with built in water cooling)
    DVD RW
    20" LCD screen

Now heres where I'm stuck on i don't know what CPU and Graphics card i should get. Either i wait for the new Penryn to come out but they are going to be way too expensive or i can get the Q6600 95W edition. As for GPU i think i want to get the 3870X2 (dual core) but not sure.

What do you think guys??????

2. gazaway

gazaway Geek Trainee

That system is going to be crazy. So you know the x38 chipset wont fully support the new Penryns without overclocking (which voids your warranty.) The official support for the new procs are going to be on the x48 chipset, and for this reason I would recommend you get the Q6600. I know the mobo says that it supports it, but that's because this is an overclocked mobo. Intel will tell you otherwise and tell you to wait untill the x48 comes out (obviously they did this to jack up the prices of the new chipset and make more money for everyone that wants the new procs.)

As far as the case goes, it's a great choice. I recently checked that case out and the included liq colling is actually pretty amazing (one of the best pumps on the market.)

That hard drive is ok, good capacity but it's not much of a performer. I dont believe it's a 7200.10 or whatever, but it will get the job done. If you're looking for a performer get a raptor or a 7200.10.

Memory is good, and even better if you plan on running XP 64 bit. Under Vista I would maybe think about getting a bit more, but the system would scream with XP64.

The video card choice is pretty good. Crossfired 3870s are pretty much the best you can get with a non-SLI'd board. It will definately give you enough performance for at least three years to come.

One thing I would consider changing is your PSU. Although I think that's a Quad rail PSU, I would recommend thinking of finding something a bit more powerfull. Dual 3870s on a Q6600 system WITH a liq cooling solution is going to take alot of power. I would recommend around a 750W PSU. Check this one out: Newegg.com - OCZ ModXStream OCZ780MXS ATX12V / EPS12V 780W Power Supply 100 - 240 V CE, CB, FCC, UL, CSA, RoHS - Retail . It should have more than enough power to support your hardware. Don't be fooled by the fact that the 12v rails only have 2 more Amps going to them, it would be more stable with the type of power consumption you plan on using. Remember, the PSU is the most overlooked part of a system and is the stem of ALOT of computer issues.

3. dmbjohn

dmbjohn Geek Trainee

the Q6600's are solid I would go with that unless you really want to wait for the penryn if thats the case maybe go with a e21XX or E45xx to get you by till you get a penryn

as for the video card it looks pretty good to me

you will love that monitor, I have one myself it is very nice

if you think you ming want a modular power supply check out corsair's 620HX

4. Pimp

Ok i don't understand why the X38 won't fully support the Penryn but the reason why i decided to go for the X38 is because it is compatible with DDR2, X48 chipset only supports DDR3 which at the moment is way to expensive for me.

Also the 3870 only takes something like 95watts so they are not power hungry cards. which is why i chose that 600watt PSU didn't think i would need higher but i will look into it.

thanks for the info

5. gazaway

gazaway Geek Trainee

Actually, you are correct the 3870 is a low power card, using 105W. two in SLI is only 210W. But you need to take into effect an overclocked Q6600, a non-green harddrive, and most importantly your liquid cooling solution that has an extremely powerful pump. 600W would probably run the system, but 750ish would gaurantee stability and allow for future upgrades.

As far as the chipset goes, you are probably right that the x48 may only support the DDR3, but I haven't read anything one way or another. Have you got a link to the article you read it at? It would make sense to run only DDR3, but I just havent seen anything that says that it will only run on it.

6. Pimp

Ok i will look into getting a more powerful PSU. Going back to the X48 what i have learned is that the X48 is a overclocked version of the X38 reaching 1600FSB and it only supports DDR3 take a look here

If you have anymore information about that X48 please tell me.

7. gazaway

gazaway Geek Trainee

Hmmm, leaked chinese information kinda scares me. I think I will wait untill something a bit more official is released.

8. Pimp

Yeah i know lol

but hay i got patience erm no lol :)

But to be honest the X48 is way too expensive the cheapest one i have found was on OCUK for £250 too much for me :confused:

9. gazaway

gazaway Geek Trainee

Umm... the x48 isn't released yet. I don't know how exactly this board is there, but it has to be a typo or something. The chipset won't be released till Q1 '08 (probably Feb '08.) That's why there isn't hardly any information out about it.

10. Pimp

That mobo on OCUK is for pre-order

11. gazaway

gazaway Geek Trainee

I bet if you waited just a bit there will be a DDR2 x48

12. Pimp

Yeah I'm going to wait and see what happens i got the money and getting more in Xmas but that makes it so hard not go and buy lol i need to be more patient and wait to get the latest technology and not waste it on some old stuff that will soon go out of date e.g DDR2