What should i go for

Discussion in 'Linux, BSD and Other OS's' started by jmpb89, Nov 17, 2008.

1. jmpb89

jmpb89 Geek Trainee

I have a laptop downstairs that currently has no OS and i wanna see what Linux is like, i tried Xfce(?) and didn't get that at all! I didn't get past trying to install the drivers for the wifi card cause of the whole "doesn't run executables" thing.

I just want a simple free OS for surfing the net wirelessly, it doesn't get used for anything else. What should i do? :)

2. megamaced

megamaced Geek Geek Geek!

Ubuntu 8.10

3. sabashuali

sabashuali Ani Ma'amin

Get a live CD. I would recommend debian based distros. Plethora of packages and help is everywhere....

Ubuntu is one of these. If you are going for any of the 8.10 *ubuntu's do not go for Kubuntu. It is only half-baked.... nasty....

When I look for something new, I have a look here - DistroWatch.com: Put the fun back into computing. Use Linux, BSD.
    I tried and liked Mint and DreamLinux.
    It is quite easy to tell these days - if a LiveCD allows you to use your wireless card, then you are good to go..... saves you some time as there is no installing and going looking up and down the internet for advice...

Good luck!

4. zeus

zeus out of date

Most people here would agree with what said above. I like the Xfce desktop environment so use xubuntu.

5. sabashuali

sabashuali Ani Ma'amin

Personally, I would only go for Xfce if the laptop is old and limited in resources. I just think that if the laptop can take it you are better off to go for a feature packed Desktop environment.....

6. jmpb89

jmpb89 Geek Trainee

Thanks for all the help, I've put Ubuntu 8.10 on it and I've got to say it looks good, is working good and haven't had to do a thing more then select a language and put my name in! :)

Thanks guys