What Speaker Config/ All in one or Seperates?

Discussion in 'Sound Cards and Speakers' started by Willz, Aug 20, 2006.

?

(1) what config? (5.1,4.1 etc..) (2) Hi-Fi or All in one?)

1. 5.1

66.7%
  2. 4.1

11.1%
  3. 3.1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. 2.1

11.1%
  5. 2.0

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Hi-Fi (Seperates)

44.4%
  7. All in one

11.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Willz

Willz MiCrO$oFt $uK$ :D

Hi, i have noticed on alot of forums and here, most people use All in one sound systems, All in one systems are were you get the whole package in one, all the speakers, the sub and the amp, weather there 2.1,2.0,3.1,4.1,4.0,5.1,6.1,7.1 etc.., Seperates (Hi-Fi's) are getting more popular now, but there also constly for a decent seperate system, incase you dont know what seperates are, there systems with seperate Amp, cd player, floorstanding speakers (floorstands), bookshelfes (smaller speakers for either desk or on a shelve but most come with propor stands), and a sub, Floorstanding speakers can range from £200 and above, nice bookshelve, £100 +, decent subwoofer, £200 +, seperates also offer superb quality and sound that is superior to that of All in One's.

Anyway, this thread is kind of a doubly poll, what system configuration have you got/prefer, 5.1,4.1,3.1 etc..., the second poll is, what have you got?, seperates (Hi-Fi's), or All in ones.

Also, away from the Poll, what speaker system have you now got, (make/Model), and what speaker system are you planning on purchasing if any? (Make/Modle) doesent matter if its Hi-Fi or All in one, but if it is Hi-Fi (Seperates, list all parts), What budget are you on aswell? Are you considering buying second hand or new aswell?

I am posting this thread because i am curious of what speakers other people have, and what there thinking about purchasing, just kind of a little survey :)

Please only select 2 (1st vote (either 5.1,4.1,3.1,2.1,2.0, Second Vote, either Hi-Fi or All in one, not all or both please, You can see my vote how i done it above.

Ok, i will start the talking part off too, right, at the moment i own the Logitech Z5500 system, downstairs we have a Sony 310W Rms home theatre system (not sure of the model), i am currently considering putting together a Hi-Fi system, i am going to save up and have a budget of around £1000, not sure on speakers and amps etc.. what i am going to buy tho, thinking of possibly going for second hand gear as prices will be quite abit cheaper.

2. zeus

zeus out of date

Separates have always been popular. These all in one systems haven't been around that long.... well 20 years or something. Im guessing the Japanese started the All-in-One ball rolling.

Ive always stuck to denon separates. Im cant remember model numbers of the first system I had but they weren't full size separates plus the tuner was built into the amp. I first had Wharfedale Glendale speaker but settled with Linn.
    Then I sold that and bought a full separates system, cd is dcd435, tuner is tu260, minidisc dmd1000 and the amp was at first I think a pma350 but it didnt have Dolby Pro Logic (no DD then) and I ended up selling it for a Kenwood one which I regretted horribly. The Denon was so much better. I also had the Glendales with that but then bought some Tannoy M2 which my maths tutor/pro musician recommended. They were class!
    Then a mate borrowed my cd player for a party and broke it, soon after the Kenwood amp blew at another party! so all I have now is a tuner and minidisc player in the wardrobe. I sold the M2s to a mate who splashed out on a dolby digital system when that first came out. He had the widescreen n everything, flash bastard! When I get a new amp it will be another simple one like the Denon pma350 and Ill have to have a listen to whats on offer when it comes to speakers.

I now use a little Denon UDm5 with the matching cassette and Tannoy M1s.

I borrowed a kenwood cd player once which I didnt like and a few mates have full technics kit which I also dont like. Technics is just Panasonic anyway, not like the Technics stuff from the 70's which is still pretty good stuff really. My mum still has a 70's amp and record deck which is surprisingly good. Thats where the glendales came from.

Like I said, I stick to Denon and Tannoy are the dogs bollocks IMO. My maths tutor was spot on with those speakers though I always wanted the Tannoy M3.

One day ill pull it all out again and have a party! I haven't got the heart to sell it. I even sold my old motorbike instead of selling my Hi-Fi. Most bikers would sell their kids before their bike!

Willz, when looking at speakers make sure you get demo. Dont buy from Currys n places like that they are usually big buildings and the sound gets eaten up. The size of the room you plan on using your new speakers makes a big difference to the speakers you should buy. Also you will find the best amps around dont have all these fancy knobs and features. Get an external equalizer and if you aint using it for films bin the DD etc. High wattage aint shit either. When I was into Hi-Fi stuff you could easily spend £10,000 on 4w amplifiers!

3. megamaced

megamaced Geek Geek Geek!

At the moment my current audio set up is less then ideal, but it's suitable in my current location.

I don't have a stereo per see, I just use my computer for everything - including TV :)

I play my music through Amarok 1.4.1, which goes through an integrated AC'97 based Intel audio chipset and then to my rather awful Creative I-treague 2.1 speakers. But hey, the look pretty good even if they don't sound it :D

Hifi separates are the way to go if you want a pure sound. Like Zeus, I also recommend Denon - I used to own a full Denon system with GLL floorstanding speakers. It was a lovely system but it had to go when I left my parents house.

4. Willz

Hmmm intresting, the brands you reccommend are the brands i see been the most popular on forums like overclockers and AVForums, Yea i know watts dont mean anything, also i know about going to demo them, the thing is i went to i think currys once, were the speakers to demo are, there is like a little room aswell.

My Z5500's seem to be pure and amazing sound, cant imagine what Hi-Fi's will sound like!, but i also like loudness and lots of bass, which would require a very expensive sub with Hi-Fi, i like those SVS subs with dual 12" drivers in, those Velodyne Subs look Awsome too, just a shame there so expensive.

Acoustic Energy do All in one Seperate systems i belive inc large Floorstands.

5. zeus

zeus out of date

Depends on the music you listen to. Ive never needed a separate sub, I would imagine they would take the crispness of decent speakers away.
    Not saying they are useless but just not for me.

I must admit from what I can remember when I had my Hi-Fi set up my PC isnt too far behind. It might be a different story if you have them both set up in the same room at the same time, in fact I bet the PC will seem a bit flat.

Get hold of a what Hi-Fi mag. I spent loads of time reading them. It puts all these chit chat myths to rest about what to look for in a decent hi-fi.

6. megamaced

megamaced Geek Geek Geek!

Yeah, I get a flat sound through my Creative speakers. They really fail to excite me in anyway.

Integrated sound cards are alot better today then they were a few years ago. The AC'97 is probably one of the best among them. However they pale in comparision to a dedicated sound card like the M-Audio Audiophile.

7. Willz

or the X-FI lol.

I dunno what my speakers sound like, i dunno difference between flat and anything else, they just sound amazing.

8. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

PC
    Audigy2 ZS
    Logitech Z-560 (4.1)

Great for games, ok for movies, crap for music.

Living room (5.1)
    AVR-3805 Receiver
    Canton Speakers:
    LE 109 (front)
    LE 205 CM (center)
    LE 101 (surrond)
    AS 50 SC (Sub)

This system is simply amazing. The sound is so pure I cannot describe it in words.

9. Willz

Bet it was expensive too :p, i looked at those LE 109's, they look really cool, i bet you dont even need a sub since its got an 8" woofer in it lol.

10. pelvis_3

pelvis_3 HWF Member For Life

All-in one 5.1 for me :good:

11. Willz

What is the make/model of it?

12. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

On my PC I use a 5.1 setup - Cyber Acoustics - Not sure of the model :p
    I use a Soundblaster Audigy 2 Sound card.

I have a separate stack system in my bedroom too - NAD 3130 200W Amp with a Technics SL-PG490 CD Deck. It's running through 2 x 90W JVC Speakers (Not sure of model numbers) and 2 x 35W Solavox speakers - The JVC Speakers are placed high, the Solavox speakers low as they provide some nice bass.

It's not an ideal setup but the sound is good and when I want to I can crank it and make the walls shake :) - Plus I got it free so I can't complain.

Ideally I'd have a BOSE separate stack system - I just love em - the sound is freaking incredible.

Here's some pictures of my small stack: They're not great but hey who cares...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. Willz

They look great, i wouldent mind a pair, i bet they put out some good bass, bet it looks good when those speakers are loud and that cone is moving fast :p

My parents got the same TV as that in the lounge :p

14. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

Hehe it's a 24" Widescreen TV (Goodmans) - It's cool having a widescreen and fairly big TV in your room :p

They do provide some nice bass - obviously I've had to play around with the small EQ to get them sounding the way I want :p

15. Willz

Ah, goodmand, looks so like the TV thats in lounge, not the same lol, infact my parents used to have that same tv in the living room exept 32", but the screen wentpink then blew up :p

Have you ever maxxed those JVC speakers out?

16. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

Not yet - it hurts to turn the amp up 1/3 of the way :p

17. Willz

lol, those speakers must be loud them, or do they just distort before the amp gets to full?

18. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

No distortion, just too loud. The amp and speakers aren't really matched anyway. If I were to whack the amp up full the speakers would blow.

19. Willz

Sound like a powerfull amp, NAD seem to be a good brand too.