What to buy?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by daniel c, May 12, 2008.

1. daniel c

daniel c Geek Trainee

Hi,
    Thanks for looking,

I am looking at two different choices of screens to buy and was wondering if any one had recommendations. They are about the same price 22" widescreen. The links are below

The Acer one
    http://www.acer.com.au/acer/akc/mon...3CA2573640029501D?open&current=8.7&ms=expand&

The ASUS one
    ASUSTeK Computer Inc.

I will be using the screens for word proccessing, games, photoshop and the occasional movie.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers Daniel

2. daniel c

daniel c Geek Trainee

?

Oh and also I forgot to ask what is better Active or Passive Matrix

ASUS = Active
    Acer = Passive

Cheers

3. cube_

cube_ Mega Geek

When it comes to the Active or Passive Matrix... i honestly don't think there is a better... theyre just two different processes that a screen uses to display pixels... TFT's (like the ASUS) use Active Matrixing... i read about it here:
    How stuff works: Active and Passive Matrix
    Still, i don't know for sure if there is a better or not :x: sorry!

However, i can tell you which of the two will be a better steal, excluding the active or passive matrixing:

One of the first things you should look at when buying a screen is its Respone Time (or... refresh rate)... The lower the number the faster, or, better.
    The Asus here beats the Acer with 2ms. The acer has 5ms. Now this isnt to say that the Acer is much worse or "sucks"... 5ms is still KICK A**! Moving on...
    Contrast Ratio: The Acer beats this one with a 2500:1. The Asus has a 2000:1
    Power consumption: The Acer takes about 45W while the Asus will take about 55W
    Other than this they are both pretty much identical.

CONCLUSION:
    As i tell everyone, you really won't see a big difference between the two unless the Respone times were lets say very different... or if one screen was 22' and the other 19'...
    Also, i don't know about Asus monitors... i know theyre ok with motherboards and cd/dvd drives... but monitors? :dry:
    If you are on a budget... go for the cheaper one ;)

Hope i was of some help