Whats Dim1 And Dim2 On The Mother Board

Discussion in 'CPU, Motherboards and Memory' started by charan, Nov 29, 2006.

1. charan

charan Geek Trainee

Hi friends,
    I wish to know whats the story behind the DIM 1 And DIM2 (RAM Slots) on the board.whats their uses and advantages.

2. Willz

Willz MiCrO$oFt $uK$ :D

Dim 1 and Dim 2 are 2 slots for ram, all it means is Ram slot number 1 and Ram slot number 2, the disadvantages of not using it are really, you cant use the computer lol, you need to have ram ina computer to boot it up, well at least mine does.

As you ntoice when you buy ram sometimes in the description or on the title it says Dimm, i am not sure as to what exatly Dim means though.

3. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

It's just a designation. DIMM=Dual Inline Memory Module. This applies SDR, DDR and DDR2 memory.

Ideally, you want to start filling your RAM with DIMM 1 (sometimes there will be DIMM 0) and then fill DIMM 2, 3, etc). The only exception would be if the motherboard has a dual-channel memory function, in which case you may fill DIMMs in a different order, so always check your motherboard manual regarding this.

4. zeus

zeus out of date

Dual Inline Memory Module.
    They used to be SIMM, Single Inline Memory Module. I dont know what was out before SIMM. Maybe they weren't memory modules at all. Maybe it was built into the board.... like Level 2 caches used to be.

Basically DIMMs have contacts on both sides of the stick, whereas SIMMs only only have contacts on one side. I think DIMMs took off where SIMMs ended, ie the most "pins" on a SIMM is 72 and the least amount of pins on the DIMM modules is 72. Albeit on a SO-DIMM.

EDIT: I remember now, before SIMMs were DIPs. Like DIP CPUs, only you had to use lots of them. It was when they stopped using DIP CPUs (when the Intel 186s with the bigger 20bit address bus came out) that they introduced SIMMs because they can hold more memory.

5. Addis

Addis The King

If you want to go dual channel, your motherboard may have the RAM slots colour coded. E.g. 2 blue and 2 green. You need to use the coloured dims together to get dual channel.