whats goin on with my psu

Discussion in 'Power Supplies and UPS's' started by freakshowseer, Jun 25, 2005.

1. freakshowseer

freakshowseer Geek Trainee

hi,

Ive just transfered all the components from one case over to another. everything seemed to be goin ok, then i turned the the system of at the switch on the psu, when i came to turn it back on, before even touching the switch on the case, the psu started up and the cpu/heatsink fan started spinning, but i was unable to turn the power on at the case. nothing else turned on, eg cd drives, floppy, am unsure of the hard drive. the light on the LAN card turned on as well.
    I disconnected the case wiring to the motherboard and tried reconnecting with no luck. The power light and HDD light seem to work but thats only because i had them in the wrong way i believe.
    can anybody tell me the system is doing this?????

2. ninja fetus

ninja fetus I'm a thugged out gangsta

3. freakshowseer

I'm not sure what make the polwer supply is. Does this mean that the motherboard might be savable or am I going to have to buy a new one?

4. Addis

Addis The King

You should probably try to take another PSU, preferably good quality brand from another computer and test it out. If you still get exactly the same problem then I'd say that theres something wrong with the components (possibly mobo) or they haven't been connected properly.

Edit: Also check that your mobo isn't shorting with the case anywhere. Try takign the mobo out and connecting only the graphics card, RAM,
    CPU and PSU to the mobo on a non conductive surface.

5. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

yeah case PSU's aren't all that good, i think i read a thread on here about how generally a heavier PSU will have bigger capacitors and heatsinks that a light one, and since reading that i changed back from my 400W generic case PSU to my old 300W PSU, this is because i had some reliability issues with the new one (it blew first time and had to get a replacement) my old one i trust a lot more so even though it has a lower wattage (this doesnt matter its how efficient it is and how well the wattage can hold up under different temperatures) it is more reliable. I am thinking of gettin something like a 500W PSU from a trusted name brand, hoping not to spend more than £60

6. zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG

zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG HWF Guitar Freak

one of my friend's PSU's is less than a pound (it came with a logysis case) , and it was sending mixed voltages to the video card (don't hurt the video card!) we believed, after testing it out with mine, which fixed 80% of problems he had with it, but then it also turned into a "we need to make this case cooler" situation to fix the rest.

personally, i want that psu, and to chuck it like a discus byt the cords :p

but the amazingly lucky kid just graduated, and made a hell off of it, so hes getting a new one, pretty cool cause it won't lag during our future LAN party

7. ninja fetus

ninja fetus I'm a thugged out gangsta

Also cheap power supplies cause a lot of "freezing" or "crashing" I've noticed so far. I put in a 400watt generic into a basic computer and got tons of lockups and temporary freezing. I put in an old 230watt packard bell power supply and the thing hasn't crashed since.

8. freakshowseer

Thanks for all the help guys, after trying various combo's of hardware, I found out that the processor has gone to silicone heaven. RIP. (Resting in pieces) Thanks for all the help :good: :good:

9. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

damn processor gone that sux, damn PSU's, well hope all goes well with getting a new one..you going to get the same one or upgrade?

10. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

11. zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG

never heard of the line, try to find a good line's PSU and you're guaranteed its not low leveled

12. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

yeah, afte browsing i found that one, looked cool and ratings were pretty good (well i thought,but what do i know?) big b is the one in the know....about everything...

13. zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG

if ratings are good and the systems are similar to yours then go for it, but otherwise id recommend to get like an antec PSU cooler master, ultra,enermax, and one of the good lines

14. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

yeah i probably will

15. zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG

16. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

lol post like that are they worth it? are they just to boost your score?

17. zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG

i dont count posts, i count times helpful, posts just get you the nice titles haha

18. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

lol....my posts have doubled in the past 2 days :good:

19. zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG

i had 400 3 days ago

and 3 helpful points, but i raised it by 10 :good: