Whats wrong with my PC? (Mouse Problem)

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by robo, Dec 5, 2004.

1. robo

robo Geek Trainee

Every 30 minutes or so of using my PC causes my mouse to stop working. When this happens everything else continues to work. Also on occasions when the mouse is connected normally a message appears on start up telling me that no mouse is connected. These problems have occured with 3 different mice and with mice connected to both USB and the normal mouse port. Therefore I think the problem is my computer rather that dodgy mice.
    Any ideas of what the problem might be?
    Thanks in advance for any help you can give

2. ninja fetus

ninja fetus I'm a thugged out gangsta

Make sure you have all your chipset and motherboard drivers up to date
    if all else fails, try a windows repair

3. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

Try removing any mouse drivers you might have installed, and rely instead on the generic drivers which are built into the OS.

4. robo

robo Geek Trainee

My knowledge of computers is pretty basic so any chance you could explain or find a site that explains how to:
    1. Do Windows repair
    2. Update chipset and motherboard drivers
    3.Locate any mouse drivers that may need deleting

Sorry to be awkward and thanks again for your replies

5. ninja fetus

what kind of computer do you have? and what model, I'll try and get you a link to updated drivers if I can. and if that doesn't work I'll write down some steps on how to do a windows repair are you using windows Xp?

6. ninja fetus

to remove mouse drivers
    1)go to control panel
    2)open add/remove progams
    3)look around for anything related to your mouse, like if you have a logitec, search for logitec and remove

robo likes this.
  7. robo

robo Geek Trainee

I have a Compaq Presario somethingorother with Windows 98

8. robo

robo Geek Trainee

I didn't find anything at all relating to the mouse in add/remove programs. However after searching around I've found a couple of CD's that came with the mice so maybe I should try putting them in to re-install the required drivers?

9. ProcalX

ProcalX all grown up

Robo if you can find out what model of your pc is, we can help you out alot more :)

Compaq Presario "Model number of information here"

You should be able to find this information out when turning on your computer, or on the case, or inside the case.

As for places where to update Windows / Motherboard drivers and chipsets check these links out:

Windows Update
    Microsoft Office Update

Download ALL the available updates there are.

For your Motherboard Drivers, Chipset Drivers, Graphics Drivers e.t.c goto this link:

Compaq Website

First thing you need to do is to check the box:
    "Software & Driver downloads"
    then below the check box options there is a box where you can type in your computers product number, once you have entered your product number click the arrow sign to the right of the box, then download any updates available that it provides as a result of your search.

Hope this helps

robo likes this.
  10. robo

robo Geek Trainee

Funnily enough re-installing the drivers from the microsoft software seems to have worked. touch wood. No need to do all this complicated stuff.
    Thanks to everyone who took the time to help. I'll keep it in case it breaks down again!