Which converter to connect PC to TV via HDMI cable?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Mikenowo, May 9, 2014.

1. Mikenowo

Mikenowo Geek Trainee

I recently bought an HDMI cable for my TV but can't connect it to my PC because there is no HDMI port on it. I've been reading that there are HDMI to USB 2 converters as well as HDMI to VGA converters. I want to play MP4s on the TV, which of these converters is better (do they both work to do what I need)?

2. Wicked Mystic

Wicked Mystic Big Geek

USB 2.0 offers little bandwidth. That may be enough but VGA to HDMI adapter should be better.

3. Mikenowo

Mikenowo Geek Trainee

Ok I had a feeling VGA would be better. My other question is since I would be plugging the adapter into the PC's VGA port I guess there's no way to see my desktop on my main PC monitor as well (a splitter perhaps)? Reason I ask this is that on my laptop which DOES have an HDMI port I plug the cable in there and then into the TV and I instantly see the desktop on both the laptop and the TV. Is this possible with an adapter, to see on both monitor and TV?

4. Mikenowo

Mikenowo Geek Trainee

Hmmm... I've been searching around for a HDMI female to VGA male adapter but can't really find any. All they seem to have is the reverse which makes no sense? The HDMI cable is male and the VGA port on the computer is female so what good would those adapters do? I even read a post with somone saying you can't connect from a VGA computer port to an HDMI on a tva because teh VGA is analog and the TV is digital.. is this true? If so then the HDMI cable is useless to me on the PC. :-/

5. Mikenowo

Mikenowo Geek Trainee

6. Wicked Mystic

Wicked Mystic Big Geek

VGA to HDMI conversion requires analog to digital conversion and adapters are usually quite complex end expensive. VGA to HDMI is possible, another thing is how complex.

So you have desktop, not laptop? You probably can find very cheap video card with HDMI under 40$ or something. Much less hassle and cheaper than using adapters. So I recommend to buy new video card.

7. Mikenowo

Mikenowo Geek Trainee

8. Wicked Mystic

Wicked Mystic Big Geek

That is OK. You probably can find used cards also.