Which one is better?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Class, Mar 24, 2005.

1. Class

Class Geek Trainee

Hi Everybody!

Hehh.....now comes a little bit funny question from me!
    Yes, which one is better? *oldie but goldie*

*please, don't laught*

i have an Intel Celeron 366MHz and Pentium II 233MHz, and ofcourse for each everything that you need.
    I don't know which one would be better for running a Linux on it. (Mandrakelinux, Debian or SuSE....i don't know yet for sure)
    It will be working as a small server, and ofcourse i will use it like now, with the Windows98, and watch movies and listen to music.
    So the question is which one would be better, stronger for Multimedia&Server?
    If you wanna ask what will happen to the other.....well the old dos 6 will run on the other!

So i will be very happy if someone could help me in this question! If anybody still remember such old processors from the stoneage!

THX a lot!

2. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

My guess is the Celeron (though 500MHz would probably be nice). It's cache is a quarter the size of a P2's but runs at the same speed as the processor, while the P2's only runs at half the processor speed so a 233MHz P2 really yields about 117MHz while a 366MHz gives you the total 366 so it should be faster in any respect, but I'm no expert.
    How much ram do you have though? You'll need at least 64MBs or ram for Mandrake and Debian I believe. SuSE will probably need 128MBs, 256 wouldn't hurt either. Depends on what version you're running most likely.
    Hope this helps.

3. Class

Class Geek Trainee

Well...... I have about 1,2 GB of rams! Actually, i don't know exactly how many, computers so i could put rams for one to the other.
    *everybody throw there SDRAMs away, so i could collect them for free, hehh*
    So i quess with the rams i won't have any problems!

I searched on the intel site which one could be better, but i didn't finded an exact comparing to each other.
    But here are datasheets of them:
    Intel Pentium II with MMX (
    Processor Core Frequency: 233MHz
    L2 Cache Size: 512kB @ 133MHz
    Bus Speed: 66MHz
    Intel Celeron with MMX (370 PPGA)
    Processor Core Frequency: 366MHz
    L2 Cache Size: 128kB @ 366MHz
    Bus Speed: 66MHz

Do you still think the Celeron would be better as a server? If i know right L2 is very important, or maybe not?!

4. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Nice one man! I wish people chucked their ram more often where I live. The L2 cache is very important, so 512KB is pretty good but it's slow so you'd probably still have better luck with the Celeron concidering how much ram you have. This is my opinion anyway, someone else will probably have a better idea soon.

5. Class

Class Geek Trainee

Thx......you're fast, so can just say "thanks you very much"!
    Celeron....hmmm...i think there performance is realy close to each other. But now i'm looking for other think thats could help to decide.
    I think my P2-s mobos is better, because, its an ASUS P28, with 3 RAM slots. And if i know right this one is really good and stabil.
    For the celeron i have a crapy with 2 ramslots, and it's cheap mobo from Acorp.
    And i searched my ram archive the bigges ram i have is 128MB, but only one, the rest is 64MB.
    So that means, if i would choose the P2, it would have 256MB SDRAM, but the Celeron would have just 162MB SDRAM.

If we are so warmed up, could you help to decide with card is better to which pc:
    + 3D/fx VooDoo (just 3D, 1 Million Triangles/Sec, 45 Million Pixels/Sec)
    8MB EDORAM
    + S3 Trio64S2/DX (just 2D, Trio64V2 takes advantage of hardware double buffering for seamless, tear-free video. It has better memory bandwidth management, faster memory access and higher memory clock support than the 64V+. The Trio64V2 enables higher refresh rates and larger resolutions by integrating a 170 MHz true-color RAMDAC. Support for resolutions and refresh rates of up to 1280x1024@85 Hz. Utilizes synchronous memory to provide more usable bandwidth at mainstream resolutions such as 1024x768x16bpp @ 85Hz.)
    4MB EDORAM
    + S3 Virge/GX2 (Virtual Graphics Engine. 64bit 2D + 3D, ViRGE/GX2 accelerator provides support for Intel's AGP standard. Has a full set of 3D rendering features including MIP mapping, trilinear filtering, transparency, atmospheric effects, Z-buffering, and perspective correction of textures.)
    32MB SGRAM

Thanks....

6. Addis

Addis The King

IMHO i would disagree, the Celeron is a very budget alternative to their Px counterparts. They have much less cache, and if I remember Pentiums are more sensitivive to cache than AMD CPUs, despite the lower clock frequency I'd go for the P2. 133MHz shouldn't be too much of a difference i would think. Cache is important for servers, but don't be fooled into thinking that extra RAM will make up for it, as it won't be a replacement for on die cache.

For your gfx question I'd go for the Voodoo/S3 combination.

7. Class

Class Geek Trainee

Thanks for your opinion.....indeed cache is important! But if i understand right, you think 256MB ram is weak for a server? *my english is very bad*

8. Addis

Addis The King

That all depends on what the server is going to be doing. If its a simple file server, you won't need huge amounts of RAM. For a home office type server 256mb is ok.

9. Class

Class Geek Trainee

Yes, it will be just a simple home server, sharing internet and files, and these kinda thinks! If i calculate right there will be 4 other PC connecting to this one.

btw....you voted for the VooDoo/S3 Trio, right? you mean ofcourse these will be good for servers, right?

10. Addis

Addis The King

Servers don't need fancy graphics cards unless you're going to be using it for gaming. Even so they none of them will give you any good performance, so it doesn't matter which you pick.

11. Class

Class Geek Trainee

I know that......but as i sad, maybe i will watch some movies on it, or maybe playing some good old classic games. If i know right that could be possible with linux on it, or am i wrong?

12. Addis

Addis The King

for multimedia then your best choice is the Voodoo/S3 trio. I'm not a linux expert, but not all games work under linux, unless you use the windows emulation.

13. Class

Class Geek Trainee

Yes, I thought of a windows emulator!
    *that will be realy cool, i can play some very good old games, which i can't on XP.....hehhh*

btw........you sad, you're not a Linux Xpert. But do you know which linux is good. I know.....everybody is asking: "what do you want to with it?"
    I have Mandrakelinux, SuSE, Debian, Red Hat, Novell. Now, i heard that Linspire (aka Lindows) is realy good, for former Windows users.

Anyway.....thats for you opinion! :good:

14. Addis

Addis The King

Mandrake is supposed to be easy to install, while SuSe and Red Hat are also good.

15. Class

Class Geek Trainee

Thanks a lot! :good:

16. ninja fetus

ninja fetus I'm a thugged out gangsta

mandrake 10.x is the most user friendly distro I've come across yet. Very easy to install and get running. If you can pick up an old nvidia geforce2 or 4 series card they are more plentiful and will run much better under linux.

17. Class

Class Geek Trainee

I think tomorrow i will be refering how it worked, my new little server.
    And i decided that the P2 will do the server job better supported by a better mobo and more ram. By the time i found another 128MB ram, hehh....thats mean it will have 320MB! :D
    *i'm searching a little bit more maybe i will find another 128MB...hehh*

18. Class

Class Geek Trainee

Thanks.....I have currently the 10.1 version of it. Actually i don't know which one to install from these lot of img files...hehh. I have:
    Mandrakelinux-10.1-Official-Download-CD1.i586
    Mandrakelinux-10.1-Official-Download-CD2.i586
    Mandrakelinux-10.1-Official-Download-CD3.i586
    Mandrakelinux-10.1-Official-Download-DVD.i586
    Mandrakelinux-10.1-Official-Mini.i586
    Any idea? what means 'i586'?

GeForce2.....i think i could get one, one of my friend will buy a new PC, and i think he has a GeForce 2 MX400 or something like. i try to get it! :mad:

19. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

Just wanted to address the 'Pentium2 vs Pentium2-based Celeron' issue. A bit of relevant Celeron history...

There were two major types of P2-based Celeron: the Celeron and CeleronA. The original Celeron is identical to the P2, except that the P2 had 512k L2 cache, and the Celeron had 0 (zero) L2. Unfortunately, this made the 'Celly' crawl. Since the original Celly wasn't working out for Intel, they decided to give it a little bit of L2, although not as much as the more expensive Pentium2. In the end it came with 128k embedded L2 cache. Incidentally, the cache available to Intel at that time was much faster than the cache being used for the P2, so even though it had 1/4 the amount of cache, the CeleronA was a faster CPU! They were also very overclockable, sometimes up to 200%(!!!), and the multipliers were unlocked by default back then. As a result of the CeleronA's resounding success, later revisions of the CeleronA came with the multipliers locked to prevent substantial overclocking. The Pentium 2 was soon discontinued, since Intel had shot themselves in the foot by making the budget processor faster than the flagship. Whoops.

20. Class

Class Geek Trainee

I guess thats mean.....lets go for Celeron! :chk:
    Meanwhile i searched for the type of mobo which i have under my celeron, and indeed its not the best mobo:Acorp 6VIA/ZX85
    I can't find anything on the internet from/about it! *except, but i can't speak russian*
    I guess this mobo won't oc the celeron, or somebody know his mobo?