Which one is better?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Class, Mar 24, 2005.

1. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

S3 cards suck for any OS, including Linux. You're better off with any Nvidia card. As for Windows games on Linux, you can run some using Cedega. However, It's always best to run software which is natively written for your operating system. There are a lot of games out there for Linux, many of which will even run well on your Celeron. Or, if you're into old-school gaming, there's also a native build of ZSNES for Linux!

2. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

i586 means an Intel-compatible processor which is 5th revision or higher. In other words, this version of Mandrake is compiled to run on a Pentium Pro or better CPU. Since you have a Pentium2 and a P2-Celeron, you are OK in this respect. As for which image to use, you can either burn the three CDs(1-3) and install by booting to the first disc, or if you have a DVD burner to burn the disc and a DVD-ROM to read it with in the client systems, you can burn everything to one neat & tidy DVD (Mandrakelinux-10.1-Official-Download-DVD.i586).

By the way, if you're going to run a GUI on your Linux box, do not run KDE or Gnome. While they are arguably the best desktops for Linux, they pull a lot more resources than other desktops, like XFCE4, IceWM, and Fluxbox. If you use any of the latter three desktop environments I just mentioned, you'll get about 200% more performance out of your outdated hardware than you would by using a heavier GUI, like KDE (or Windows XP's GUI).

3. Class

Class Geek Trainee

Hey...thanks for the hint! I just installed today, for testing, SuSE-s linux 8.2, i had this one legaly. =P Well, its looks cool with KDE, i made the mistake that you sad, to run this. There are some others, so you think i should run for example IceWM? right?
    I don't know, its a bit strange with this linux. It's only a desktop version, so i has no server options. But well i was quiet surprised that it had all drivers for my hardwares! Great!

Can i ask you something about Linux?
    - I tried to connect via SWITCH LAN to a windows xp, and they didn't saw each other. :confused: How does this work?
    - Can i share the internet connection on SuSE 8.2 to the other WinXP PCs?
    THX

4. Class

Class Geek Trainee

Well......i try to get my friends old nvidia card, but until that i think i will be satisfied with S3! Hehh...!
    Thanks for the links. =)
    If you know some important things for Linux beginners, then please tell me them!

5. Class

Class Geek Trainee

btw........Finally the P2 is my server with 256MB ram in it, and currantly with SuSE 8.2. Why? Just because the very good ASUS P2B mobo and more rams! Well, it runs pretty fast, windows xp would never run on it, so it's pretty good. But well, i don't know yet a lot of thing about linux. So i need to get know it, like windows. What are the program whitch are needed, like Total Commander for windows, and things like that. I need to figure aout how to play games on it, and how to play mp3s and how to watch some movies. If somebody could guide me a little bit, i would appriciate it a lot!