Which One?

Discussion in 'Windows OS's' started by Moobrack, Dec 15, 2001.

1. Moobrack

Moobrack Geek Trainee

I have had a new 1 ghz PC bought for xmas and dont wanna put XP on it, which ones cshould I go for
    I thought that I might go for the dual OS with
    Win 98 S E
    and
    Win 2000NT pro

Any other suggestions, and I dont fancy linux.

Which one will make my pc run at optimum speed?

2. pinki

pinki Geek Trainee

Not sure why you don't want to put XP on it. XP is the best thing to come out of Redmond since ..... well the last best thing :D

Seriously, go for XP, it's the dogz. I have been running it on a 400 Mhz laptop for 3 months and it is just so stable. As soon as I replace my scanner and printer it will be going onto my main machine.

3. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

98/2k dual boot are good options. Stay the hell away from ME, tho. Total shit of an OS.

XP is good, but it still could use some fine tuning. Service Pack 1 should fix a lot of lingering issues.

If you're planning on a dual boot, let me offer some sound advice: Install 98 on your C: partition, and 2k on your D: partition, and install 98 first, along with all the updates, before installing 2k.

You won't hose your system installing 2k first, but you'll have to jump through a hoop or two to dual boot. This is due to the fact that 98 will over write the boot sector so you can only boot to 98, and then you have to "repair" the 2k install to fix it.

Oh, yeah, keep everything FAT32 for best results. 98 can't read NTFS, unless you shell out big bucks for a read/write utility.

4. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member

I'd go for Win XP Pro, runs perfect for me :) no need for win98 etc
    but if you want dual boot, go for Win 98 and 2k as Big B said...

5. RZA

RZA l337 CounterStriker

Is win me really that bad ??
    Im using it :(

6. Moobrack

Moobrack Geek Trainee

Advice RZA, Format and use win 98 SE, or even Win 2K NT pro.

I have chosen both 98 SE, and NT2000Pro

Thanx Guys, now my machine runs perfectly!

7. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member

RZA if you dont have any problems at all, I dont see why you should change...

8. SETEO

SETEO Geek Trainee

Yeah I agree with Sniper, RZA I think you'll find a few people who say not to use ME purely because it can cause quite a lot of probs (me for one!!)....but after reading around, there are plenty who have no worries with ME at all....but I guess that can be said for any of Microsoft OS's really.

I've got 98SE & XP on dual also, and agreed I prefer XP over 2k also. XP has been as solid as a rock for me.

9. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

My complaints with ME are that the only think it did properly as advertised was boot faster. I found it to be slower than 98, more crash-prone, even with the latest hardware and drivers, a POS for networking to Win2k...
    It's been the worst spent money in my life. I've seen too many problems caused by that OS. ME only was put out to improve MS profits and make people move to XP. Very good strategy, IMHO.

10. shibby

shibby Geek Trainee

i would definately choose windows 98 SE its very stable

11. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

98 isn't a bad OS, but as the support has been, or is getting dropped (I think it has been dropped already), it's probably not the most ideal OS anymore.

12. Kurl75

Kurl75 Guest

Are you serious! I think that you should stop giving advice. 98SE is the least stable OS out there. Just because it works with legacy hardware does not mean that it is stable. BSOD ring a bell? Probably does every 7 dayz or so. Just try Win2000 You wont regret it. XP is good to but they do still need some tweakage hopefully doen in SP1.

Kurl

edit.. AHHH Big B is an overclocker.au --FOLD on Bro. The [H] will always overcome :D

13. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Nope. I don't fold for OCAU. I just find it convient to link my rigs through the PC database. I'll be putting a new entry in shortly:chk:

14. mad2moons

mad2moons Geek Trainee

yup. 98 has ceased to be supported and sold as/to oems. think it was 1st july, same is happening to nt4 server as well.

15. syngod

syngod Moderator

I'd go with a 98SE, XP dual boot. That way you have access to the stability and compatibility of XP while still being able to goto 98 if you do run into problems with an application.

Windows 2000 is in the process of being unsupported as MS is pressuring OEM's to quit shipping dual 2K/XP systems and in 8-9 months will be phased out completely.