Which window manager?

Discussion in 'Linux, BSD and Other OS's' started by zeus, Jun 22, 2006.

1. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

I agree. As far as kernels go, it doesn't really get any more user friendly than Linux. Also, UNIX is a very simple and elegant concept for an operating system architecture. Linux, MacOS X and FreeBSD are all based on a POSIX Unix architecture. There's nothing wrong with UNIX, it's just different than what you already know in the DOS world. I started out with DOS and later Windows, and I can say with a great amount of assurance that UNIX makes much more sense than the DOS/Windows architecture.

2. RHochstenbach

RHochstenbach Administrator

Yeah, I got confused :doh: :doh:

3. Addis

Addis The King

While I love KDE and have a very minor role in developing Amarok, I'm using Ubuntu with GNOME on my laptop. I've got my taskbars with ~10% opacity so it sort of mimics what I like with KDE. The reason I'm sticking with GNOME is because whenever I've installed KDE, GTK apps no longer look nice. They seem to take on a horrible, grafty look and I don't know how to reverse it.

Whenever I have to work with files intensively or use FTP/SFTP/samba/media drives I use Konqueror. Simply open it, and all KDE apps look fine inside GNOME. It's not ideal, but I'd rather not break the installation.

4. zeus

zeus out of date

Xubuntu couldnt even open terminal without crashing x on my intel 810 system. A glitch everyone suffers with the 810. Cant say im happy with it overall really. My shared files on my windows pc only work intermittently, I have to logout and login and logout until it works. Id use debian if I could get my wifi card to work in it. Luckily I only really use firefox and thunderbird... not that I can install the latest version of thunderbird which would allow me to read my hotmail.

5. Anti-Trend

You can adapt the GTK look and feel in KDE within the KDE Control Center. You can either choose to have GTK apps look & feel like your current KDE theme (that's what I prefer to do), or you can specify a certain GTK theme of your own choosing so that QT and GTK apps look distinctive from one another. See attached screenshot.

Attached Files:

6. kenji san

kenji san Geek Trainee

Is this an add-on? I've never seen that under KDE (in many different distros) before.

Thanks!

7. Anti-Trend

On a Debian or Deb-like, just apt-get install gtk-qt-engine. Enjoy!

8. kenji san

kenji san Geek Trainee

Thanks! Works on freeBSD!

9. Anti-Trend

No problem. :D

10. megamaced

megamaced Geek Geek Geek!

Have you seen the QT / GTK+ theme QTcurve? It styles QT and GTK+ applications so they look exactly the same. You can't tell which is the QT app and which is the GTK+ app!