why ddoes the manfact. industry chain us to floppy bios flashing still?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by burgerman, Feb 5, 2010.

1. burgerman

burgerman Geek Trainee

correct if i'm wrong but it seems that the only old technology that keeps getting pushed on us is the damn floppy disks that are needed to create bootable floppy disks so we can flash our bios in dos mode?

i just dont get how we are moving up in technology but somehow we are expected to be still using floppy drives/disks to perform the function if we cannot do it in windows.

i would have thought that some insight in the industry would mean that by now, floppies would be banned outright.

if i buy 10 pack of floppies i can guarantee you that nearly most of them wont work and its been this way for years. getting a floppy disk to work and stay alive is like praying for one fo them to work

never mind the fact that floppies are hardly being sold in stores now.

I have a usb floppy drive and several floppy disk drives but its such a joke running around trying to find a floppy that works right out of the box ?

surely this has to be the case with you all, because this has been happening to me for years!

who's the president in chief of the corporation "keeping floppies as a vital function" pty ltd ? Is one of bill gates' offshoot companies (i'm kidding abotu the corporation btw people).

2. valamar

valamar Geek Trainee

lol, you dont have to use floppies. google "usb boot disk". you can (on any moderately new computer) boot from usb devices (older ones, you can use a cd to boot the usb). you need to put the right files on it (free, easy to find) and whatever stuff you need for you motherboard, but it will work.
    I assume they want you to use DOS?
    Hp makes a utility HP Drive Key Boot Utility - HP Business Support Center

image is at http://www.allbootdisks.com/downloads/Disks/MS-DOS_Boot_Disk_Download47/Diskette Images/Dos6.22.img .
    point the hp utility to the img, and tell it the drive letter of your usb drive (it may delete it, be careful).you now have a bootable dos disk, just like a floppy. (odds are you motherboard manufacturer has its own stuff you'll need to add)

and for what its worth, i have a MSI-790fx, it updates from from usb drives. :)
    good luck with your flash.