Why do games not run better on my build?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by ethangk, Jun 10, 2009.

1. ethangk

ethangk Geek Trainee

Hey,
    I built my computer a few month back, my specs are:

Gigabyte GA-G31M-S2L iG31 Socket 775 Onboard VGA 6 channel audio mATX Motherboard
    MSI 8600GTS Heatpipe Edition 256MB DVI HDTV PCI-E Graphics Card
    Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Socket 775 (3.0GHz) 1333FSB 6MB L2 Cache
    OCZ 2GB Kit (2x1GB) DDR2 800MHz/PC2-6400 CL 4-4-4-15 PLATINUM XTC
    Arctic Cooling AC-FRZ-7P Freezer 7 Pro Socket 775 Processor Cooler

That should run games fine, especially something like call of duty 5 with not very high settings, but it doesn't, it ends up lagging like crazy, to the point where the game becomes difficult to play. Does anyone have any suggestions as to why its so slow?

Thanks,

ethangk

2. Hyperion

Hyperion Geek Trainee

How old is this PC? Any chances of spyware/malware? Coz i had this infostealer.gampass virus on my PC and i cudnt even play FIFA08 on a PC extremely similiar to yours...

other than that..is your power supply sufficient? are your components getting enough power or are you using the cheap come-with-case PSU?

3. ethangk

ethangk Geek Trainee

Its pretty new, from about November ish. True, it did run faster when it was a fresh install but I was attempting to play these games on a near-fresh install.

The PSU is only 350w, but I chose energy efficient components, and everything runs fine and registers ok. Is there a possibility of some of the components not running properly due to lack of power, because in my experience, the computer just dies if there is not enough power.

4. Hyperion

Hyperion Geek Trainee

it just dont die..ur components give lesser performance especially in case of graphic card..

btw what amperage on the 12v rails and how many 12v rails?

if possible..can u do a fresh instal of ur OS..format everything..and try the games..see if problem persists..

also did u update any drivers recently? if so..try rolling back to previous driver

5. Net Jockey

Net Jockey Geek Trainee

What one needs to know about...the difference between Quality PSUs as opposed Poor quality units...and the effects of heat on your computer.

Poor quality units...are tested at a set temperature...from this their rating is determined... for most this No. is 25 degrees Celsius...which falls short of the temperature that most computers are capable of achieving.

Given that a PSU will actually lose 2-5 watts per one degree of heat above the 25 Degree Celsius testing temperature...coupled with the fact that computers tend to run at 10 degrees higher than room temperature... In the summer time when the room temperature can easily reach 80 degrees F... your computer will be running at 33 Degrees C. or 90 Degrees F.

So the...math can make...your 500 watt power supply into a 460 watt unit.

In addition to this...what needs to be taken into account is that each degree that your computer components are operating at...under powered...adds more heat to the equation.

Consider also...the possibility...that ratings given by the manufacturer of single components...such as graphics cards...need to be treated with skepticism... Manufacturers may minimize support issues and under rate the power required...in order to make a larger profit.

Power supplies convert voltages from wall outlets to lower levels used by the PC... During this conversion, some power is lost as heat... The poorer the quality of the PSU The higher the voltage that is required to produce the preferred results. Resulting in more heat that the PSU has to deal with

Therefore heat is the computers enemy...The hotter the temperature your PSU is forced to run at...the poorer the supply of power the rest of the components will receive...which has been known to lead to such things as crashes, freezing, rebooting, BSOD’s, and video distortion, as well as partial and complete failure of other components.

The fact is very few PSU’s are capable of producing the wattage that the companies advertise.

Quality units...are tested at very high temperatures...The efficiency rating of the PSU determines how much extra power must be put into the power supply to run the PC. A high quality PSU can help reduce the noise and heat generated within a computer system. The higher the efficiency rating the less heat the PSU has to deal with...Also the higher the quality of the PSU the higher the temperature that it can...safely... run your computer at...which reduces the need to run your computer at such low temperatures...that are hard to achieve.

A quality PSU of the right wattage...for your computer...can easily give you two or more more years of service

A quality PSU of wattage... higher than required...for your computer...can give you room for future expansion...

For a very good comprehension of recommended brand names, wattage, and models in listed categories...Plus much more...check out this link. Power Supply Information and Selection - Tech Support Forum

6. ethangk

ethangk Geek Trainee

I see what your saying, although I am not using a high powered PSU, im not using the stock one either, instead using the 350W, which claims to be about 80% efficient, and seems to be near silent. I have a feeling that isnt the problem.

7. Hyperion

Hyperion Geek Trainee

got a spare psu around? try with that.. and try format and reinstall as i suggested earlier too

8. ethangk

ethangk Geek Trainee

Hmm, I will try those, but probably wont be for a few weeks. Thanks for the help guys :)

9. Hyperion

Hyperion Geek Trainee

Do let us know :)

10. luke992006

luke992006 Geek Trainee

your games are not running that well because your Gpu is low end. Turn the res as low as it goes, all aa and af off, and all settings to the lowest they will go and see what happens mate...

11. Hyperion

Hyperion Geek Trainee

No..i disagree..that GPU is not low end....but i agree that he should lower res and aa/af settings

12. luke992006

luke992006 Geek Trainee

^how can you disagree with that... what would you possible consider low end then, and what would you consider high end lol.

13. Hyperion

Hyperion Geek Trainee

thats a medium level GPU buddy..on that you can play CoD 5 with at full high specs without the slightest of problems

14. luke992006

luke992006 Geek Trainee

^lol you did not answer my question. What would you consider low end then?

gtx 295 and gtx 285, 4890 ect = high end

4850, 4870,gtx 260, gtx 276 ect= mid

8600, 9400gt, 9500gt ect = low end.

you can't consider 6 year old tech low end, it is to far a time distance. If you did that then you could consider a 7600gt a mid level card if you consider what it was better then back then.

also, that gpu could play cod5 with everything on low setting no aa and no af. Again, a 7600gt could do that as well.

anyway, your just defending your general card area. That is considered low end in the fast moving computer hardware environment. Heck in 2 years a gtx 295 may be considered low end.