Why I'm tempted to try a Mac

Discussion in 'Apple Hardware' started by Addis, Oct 5, 2006.

1. Addis

Addis The King

I've become a little more experienced with GNU/Linux and Unix in general now, and I now understand the advantages of such a Unix based system.

OS X seems appealing, and although buying a Mac certainly won't take my PC running Debian from my primary computing station post, it'd certainly be something I'm willing to try. The great look, Unix roots and now even an x86 architecture.

Now, if only I could afford one...:confused:

2. megamaced

megamaced Geek Geek Geek!

Exactly. They are too damn expensive.

3. DaRuSsIaMaN

DaRuSsIaMaN Geek Comrade

Yeah but it'd be a ripoff, wouldn't it? U can't buy the parts for cheap and put it together yourself, right? U gotta buy the entire thing whole, and they always cost loads more than even prebuilt PC's, don't they?

4. Nic

Nic Sleepy Head

I like using Macs even if i HATE the one buttoned mice but personally id never go out and buy one..there too expensive and pretty much do the same as my pc but in a more difficult way (and I have no patience)

5. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

The one-button mouse was an issue in 1984, but it's not now. You can use multi-button mice just fine in Mac OS. As far as Mac OS from the perspective of a UNIX guy, the underlying BSD userland is outdated and less than optimal. So, Linux is a more powerful platform, but I'd say Apple is a good compromise between a "real" UNIX (like Linux/BSD/etc) and Windows. It's stable and secure, but extremely easy to learn. The downside is it's really expensive, not as powerful as Linux/BSD and not free in any sense of the word.

[ot]I thought about buying a Powerbook, but I feel it'd be too much money just for a laptop I'd eventually end up throwing Linux on anyway! :p[/ot]

6. Addis

Addis The King

Strange thing is, there is still this "PC versus Mac" debate. Well, why do peope compare PCs to Macs? Aren't they in actual fact comparing the OS of a PC to Apple Mac OS X? So, while a Mac running OS X will be much better than a PC running Windows, that can't be said for a PC running Linux.

The debate is even more irrelevant now, since Apple have switched to the x86 architecture with Intel CPUs, so its practically a PC running an x86 version of OS X. (Which can run Linux also).

7. megamaced

My biggest concern with Apple is they are more closed-source then closed source. Just look at the iPod. They are refusing to open up the iPod to other music services and restricting what people can do. They've even got to the point where they are sueing people for using the word 'Podcast'. *sigh*

Now imagine if the Mac was the dominant computer. Companies such as Dell and HP would go out of business because they wouldn' t be allowed to ship OS X on their computers. Apple would take everything for themselves and swallow the market.

Sure Microsoft is bad, but I think Apple would be even worse in that position

8. AppleKnight

AppleKnight Geek Trainee

Hey, I know there expensive, I saved up for a months getting my MacBook, you know what? Best buy ever, I only bought it for designing in Photoshop, and doing my Web Design, But Now i play all my games on it, take it virtualy anywhere, and i love it.

And it looks great as well, Its also silent, you wouldnt even know it was on, Very portable, And the Linux Operating system on it is Lush

There worth the money :D

9. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

Well , After working on both PC and mac for years, I would have to say the biggest problem here is parts.....I would not own a mac,they are a good to a point..But when it comes to fixing them they are about 4 to 5 times higher on parts than a pc is.. I have found that when comparing mac to a PC, you can buy 4 to 5 PC's to 1 mac running at the same speed.
    plus when it comes to software PC you can get all day,mac offers very little...

10. zeus

zeus out of date

I suppose it depends on what you use computers for.

What does mac do that unix or windows cannot? I know what unix and windows can do that mac cannot!

11. megamaced

Yeah I don't get the premium price tag. If you want the power of UNIX then you'd use Linux right? MACs are just fashion items in my opinion. And You're right Zues, what can a MAC do that Windows and Linux cannot? Not much in my opinion.

12. Anti-Trend

Well, if you asked me I'd say that OS X is a lot more secure and resilient to failure than any version of Windows I've ever seen. I'd say that expensive or no, the average user will probably still spend less overall on a Mac than they would on a Windows-based PC. As for me, I still prefer my Linux systems, and if I was to buy another notebook it would be an x86 laptop with Linux on it (my company provided the MacBook for me). But my experience on OS X has been a lot more consistent and enjoyable than in Windows so far.

13. wpgwiggum

wpgwiggum Geek Trainee

I'm only tempted to buy a mac so that I can do iPhone development :doh:

14. bobd000

bobd000 Geek Trainee

Yh but:
    1. Mac's don't break as often
    2. there is actually loads of software for mac - u just need to know where to look
    3. yh the price is way to high
    4. I want one

15. blackfriar

blackfriar Geek Trainee

I'm going to have to disagree with that one. I know tons of broken macs... My HP laptop didn't deform and it's battery didn't expand and crack the case - two of my buddy's macs did...

16. Anti-Trend

When I think of PCs breaking, I think of Windows breaking. Perhaps that's what he meant? OS X has a lot fewer issues than Windows, that's a fact.

17. Devil2holla

Devil2holla Geek Trainee

i'm also considering a mac..just have to save