Why is not new HD found

Discussion in 'Storage Devices' started by jari, Dec 10, 2006.

1. jari

jari Geek Trainee

Hi,
    one friend has a new seagate's ST3802110A harddrive but the BIOS does not regognize it. I installed it one one other computer and it was recognized well but for some reason the older combuter (500mhz osbourne) does not detect it.

What could be the possible reasons for this? Too old BIOS/motherboard?

Thanks, any tips are welcome.

2. zeus

zeus out of date

Have you double checked the jumpers? Check its recognised in BIOS. Also try entering the cylinders, heads and sectors manually into BIOS.

Im sure your m/b will support this harddrive.

3. jari

jari Geek Trainee

Well the BIOS has autodection but the detection newer gets pass it when it attembs to find primary master. Jumpers should be correct in the HD it self.

I will have to try setting manually the cylinders etc when I get the time.

Thanks!

Btw, how can you be sure the MB will support the HD? Because I havent said what MB this computer I'm trying to install it has. :)

4. zeus

zeus out of date

Its a bog standard IDE drive. Given a 500mhz CPU, beit a MAC or PC it should support an 80gb ata100 drive.
    Find what chipset the system uses and you'll know for sure. You may have hit on the problem straight away with the BIOS being out of date.

As its detected in BIOS you probably wont have to change the CHS but check they are correct and that max LBA says 80gb ish.

Assumning its windows have a look in Device Manager for the drive. Its probably there, run install drivers if you can or even add/remove hardware in control panel. Is it Win 9x buy any chance?

5. jari

jari Geek Trainee

Ok I tried setting the cylinders etc manually but after that no live linux CD boots. The problem still is that if I leave auto decection on the computer wont boot at all and only by disabling the primary master you can boot from a live-CD.

So the MB really doesnt seem to like the new HD.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

PS. I couldnt find any LBA settings from the BIOS except the one for primary master's type (AUTO/LARGE/NORMAL/LBA)

6. zeus

zeus out of date

It sounds like a jumper problem still.

What drives have you got a what are the jumper set to?

Also try and find which chipset you are using.
    PCwizard can help you identify the chipset/mother etc
    http://www.cpuid.org/download/pcw2006_v171.exe

7. jari

jari Geek Trainee

There's two CD roms. I have tried setting the HD's jumper from cable select to "master or single drive" but it made no difference, I think.

Btw, I just got mepis linux live CD to boot when I pressed F4 to skip the HD detection during the boot, then it detected the CD roms normally and started. But this was not new to me that the CD roms work, just mentioning this anyway.

8. jari

jari Geek Trainee

I changed position of the jumper in the HD according the picture in the manual so that the drive capacity should be limited but the only effect was that the auto detection did not freeze anymore but it was not detected either.

Well I'm telling him that he can return the HD because I'm out of ideas.

9. jari

jari Geek Trainee

Looks like I have another change on this.
    This time I have abitk7a motherboard but it's the same problem again. When I plug in the HD (ST3802110A) as primary nothing gets detected, no IDE's, not even the CD-ROM. But when I leave it just with the CD-ROM then that is found as secondary slave as normally.
    Strange isn't it?

I also tested one very old HD with this mobo and it detected that but not this new seagate's HD.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

10. Karanislove

Karanislove It's D Grav80 Of Luv

HDD is bad.........!!!!

11. jari

jari Geek Trainee

Well if you all think that's the only possibility left.

Thanks for the help.

12. donkey42

donkey42 plank

either Karan is correct or there is a problem with the cables, try using a different (known working) power cable and try a known working data cable, failing that Karen is correct

13. jari

jari Geek Trainee

Wow it started working! I unplugged all the other devices and then it was able to detect the HD.
    Strange because now I cant even plugin the CD-ROM or it wont work.

EDIT: NM about rest of this I got it fully working now. The problem was that the jumper was actually in the wrong end of the pins - so that was a glassical upside down map thing ;)

Another strange thing is that the HD's jumper is set so that it should be master "on" and slave "off". But no matter which one of the data cable's end I plug to it, it is always a primary SLAVE.

I hope that gives a glue about the problem, any ideas?

Thanks for reading.

14. Karanislove

Karanislove It's D Grav80 Of Luv

ATA Jumper Settings

15. jari

jari Geek Trainee

Thanks, I got it now.