why is there a difference in quality for phone and digital cameras

Discussion in 'Tablets, Phones and Music Players' started by Dwarfer, Sep 11, 2006.

1. Dwarfer

Dwarfer Guest

Hello

I used to have a 1.3megapixel camera the rez was 1280 when i uploaded the pics onto me pc the quality was superb but i have a 1.3megapixel camera-phone but the quality is very different - its like the pic has been resized from 640 to 1280 (i suppose you have to 'be there' to understand)

so my question is the higher the megapixel, but better the quality (not necessary a higher res)?

2. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

It's all about the CCD and lens - a camera will have high quality lenses (well the higher end ones do) and a phone uses lower quality parts. If phone manufacturers put high quality components into the phone the price would escalate quickly (some new phones are getting better I must say)

3. Dwarfer

Dwarfer Guest

thanks for reply, so its all about the cheaper components then what will the difference be with a 1.3mp and a 2mp phone camera

4. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

Yeah - a phone will have a smaller CCD because it'll be cheaper and most likely smaller. Also you jsut have to look at the lens size difference between digital cameras and phones - phones can't have big lenses because it'd make the phone a lot lot bigger.

5. syngod

syngod Moderator

The biggest difference between a camera phone and a regular camera is that camera phones tend to use plastic lenses and only feature digital zoom, while digital cameras tend to use glass lenses and most offer an optical zoom.

I know there are a couple of phones that have switched to glass lenses and hopefully the trend will continue, but as long as they continue to use plastic lenses the image quality will be hurt.