Why the hell was 5:4 aspect ratio ever created??

Discussion in 'The War Zone' started by DaRuSsIaMaN, Sep 28, 2006.

1. DaRuSsIaMaN

DaRuSsIaMaN Geek Comrade

I'm pissed at my new monitor now (19" LCD). It looks nice but this 1280x1024 resolution is so :swear: stupid!!! All the graphics are designed to be 4:3 aspect ratio, and when they're displayed on a 5:4 ratio monitor everything gets squeezed sideways! Fonts in Windows look different now than they did on my old CRT. And I just played battlefield 1942 with it and the text looks really messed up! Look at how weird the letters look on the left side of the screen (the blue/red chat) in the linked picture. Well, even the commands at the top in gray look slightly weird. It's so lame!! :angry:

Seriously, why oh why did they start making these stupid 5:4 aspect ratio monitors?? I can't get it through my head. All the 17", 19" are this way. U have to go with either a 15" (1024x768) or 20" and above to get 4:3 ratio. Freaking dumb. Monitors were always 4:3, so why jump off the bandwagon now?? I think I wanna get a new one now, a 20" 1400x1050...

[​IMG]

Whoever created 5:4 aspect ratio, take this!!
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Addis

Addis The King

I use the 1280x1024 resolution on my CRT, and things are fine for me.

3. Swansen

Swansen The Ninj

i really like the 1280x1024 resolution its really nice, it might be because its a 19''

4. DaRuSsIaMaN

DaRuSsIaMaN Geek Comrade

Well of course things are fine for you. In a game like BF1942, which only offers various 4:3 resolutions as your choices, I am forcing a 4:3 resolution to run on a monitor which is physically 5:4. The result – potential for screwy shit (like in my pic above). But for you, your monitor is already 4:3, right? So of course the game will always look 100% as intended.

Interestingly, however, I tried playing C&C Generals, and it actually looked perfectly fine. Then WTF is it about battlefield? Here, I put up another screenshot, this time taken on my CRT, and u can clearly see what the font is supposed to look like.

[​IMG]
    Note: After clicking on the thumbnail, click on the image again to see it full size or else its distorted from being scaled down to fit browser window. Same with the one in my first post.

-

Are there any games that actually have 1280x1024 as one of the choices of resolution?? None of my games do but I don't own any brand new ones -- C&C Generals is my newest one, and that’s only from 2003.