why the US auto maret drives me crazy

Discussion in 'Cars' started by Swansen, Jan 24, 2009.

1. Swansen

Swansen The Ninj

2. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

3. Swansen

Swansen The Ninj

i'll have to take a look at that some time.

4. II Gorn II

II Gorn II Geek

thats messed up... you gonna buy one an bring in back to the states ? :chk:

5. Swansen

Swansen The Ninj

actually, VW is bringing a VW diesel to the states, and it will meet emissions standards as well, and get 60mpg. Honestly, i said i'd never buy a new vehicle, but this would be something i would consider.

6. II Gorn II

II Gorn II Geek

Do you still have your truck or did you sell it and get a different car ?

7. Swansen

Swansen The Ninj

no, i sold it, i have a civic and a sidekick (tracker) right now. I bought the civic because it was really cheap, but its not road ready yet, hopefully this week, and after i have it good to go i'll drive it around with a for sale sign on it, and get the kick all straightened out. Its just some minor stuff though, nothing to crazy like the pickup needed.

8. zeus

zeus out of date

Ive not had chance to watch the videos.... but is it all petrol in america? No diesel?

9. Anti-Trend

Hehe, of course we have Diesel. But unfortunately, diesel fuel is a bit pricier than normal gasoline presently.

10. thomas234

thomas234 Big Geek

Per litre here, diesel is more expensive (about 99p per litre - which I make to be US$6.53 per gallon), but you fill up less because the MPG on a diesel car is typically higher than that from a petrol engine.

11. Anti-Trend

Yep, that's of course true, and diesel engines tend to be more reliable too from my experience. But unfortunately, the US uses diesel primarily for freight; the auto industry in this country is used to being very buddy-buddy with big petroleum companies. Now it's bitten them in the ass of course, but greed tends to be very short-sighted.

12. Swansen

Swansen The Ninj

The US gov places increases taxes on diesel because of freight use, and then people here in the US just really dislike diesel because there is the predisposition that they are all loud and smelly, but they haven't really been that way since direct injection was invented in the late 90's. People just hold on to that belief though, so they are difficult to sell, also, people don't realize how much more efficient diesel vs gas is, so they see the higher price like 40 cents or so, and ultimately believe that it will be cheaper to use a gas vehicle, that gets half the mileage a diesel does. Then there is emissions, most diesel don't pass emissions, VW is the only importer of domestic diesel vehicles for passenger cars. Jeep uses Mercedes "blu-tec" diesels in some of their vehicles, but they are rare as well, the only diesel you see on the road in the US are trucks, bigger trucks, and VWs, minus some odd stuff from the 80s, but those won't be in Calif. (emissions)