wierd computer problem

Discussion in 'Power Supplies and UPS's' started by ged25, Jan 27, 2010.

1. ged25

ged25 Geek Trainee

Ok, this happened couple of nights back. I had just switched on my computer and opened my browser when the computer switched off as if power supply was cut. I tried switching it on again but it kept shutting down before windows started loading. The next day (yesterday), however, there was no problem. It ran properly multiple times for a few hours and there were no issues. At night, at about the same time (around 2 AM), it powered off again. Since it was late, I didn't try switching on the system again. Today, it seems to be running fine with no issues. I first thought it was an smps issue. It doesn't look likely now. I thought that it was overheating but that doesn't make sense given the time that the system is shutting down. Any ideas on this weird problem ?

2. edijs

edijs Programmer

is the power supplied to your wall power outlet always the same during the night as during the day? I mean - do all other electronic devices work ok - the TV, the DVD player etc...? Maybe there's some local problem with the power network...

3. ged25

ged25 Geek Trainee

Yes, other devices work fine. Recently it has started switching off during the day as well. At other times, it works fine for a long period of time. You just can't predict whether it will work or not at a particular time. What could be the cause of this random behavior ?