Wierd Hardware Errors

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Archangel2007, Oct 14, 2006.

1. Archangel2007

Archangel2007 Geek Trainee

Hey guys, I've been working on my PC for the past few days now because for some reason it's not working properly. The easiest way to describe the situation is to tell you what errors are happening and what set up I have, so:

1) When I turn on the computer, all the fans and everything buzz to life, however neither my keyboard nor my mouse lights turn on.

2) Nothing gets displayed to my screen, no matter what graphics card I put in.

So basically I have a computer that makes alot of noise, but displays nothing and I cannot interact with it. It should be noted that when I hit the on switch the keyboard/mouse lights up for a brief instant and then die. If I disconnect my mouse (which is USB) and reconnect it the light comes on, but I still get nothing on my screen or elsewise.

I've tried figuring out whats wrong by swapping in new components. At first I thought that maybe my motherboard had died, so I bought a new one assuming that would switch the problem. After installing the new motherboard I had the same problem. Then I figured maybe my power supply wasn't working, but I tested the voltages on it and it is also working properly.

Then finally today, I swapped out the processor with one from my friends computer, and still had the same issue.

I've really hit a wall here guys and have no idea where to go from here, any suggestions you've got would be greatly appreciated.

Edit: Forgot to tell you:

Mobo: K8N Neo4-F
    Proc: AMD 64 3000+
    Gfx Card: XFX GeForce 7600 GT
    RAM: Standard 512mb x2
    PSU: 450watt powersupply

2. donkey42

donkey42 plank

what make & model of PSU ?

3. Karanislove

Karanislove It's D Grav80 Of Luv

Check the power switch on the PC's case and make sure it's properly connected to the motherboard. Try shorting the jumper pins that the switch uses to power on the PC. If that works, the switch is bad.

Make sure the motherboard surface is not making contact with the metal case (except at its mounting points). Take the motherboard and power supply out of the case and place them on a non-conductive surface (wooden table, etc.). If it boots, something was probably shorting out in the case.

Make sure all of the cards, the CPU, and the RAM, are properly seated. Remove them and reinsert them to be sure.