Wifi extensions or large wifi coverage

Discussion in 'Networking and Computer Security' started by Ferg, May 12, 2008.

1. Ferg

Ferg Manbearpig

Hay guys!

Just came back from a right doosey of a job down in Wales had to have a wifi network installed in a house with literally 1.5 meter thick INTERNAL walls - crazy old victorians!

Anyway I bought a few of those WiFi over powerline adapters (they only really needed wifi in two rooms), and of course sods law they didn't have any 'repeater' mode only Standard AP or Client, so I had the both create the same SSID and security settings and of course hit problems then tried having one broadcasting channel 5 and the other channel 6 and it worked like a charm! Could run between the two rooms without dropping connection.

Was wondering if anyone else has experience of using this method over a larger area with more than two AP's? As I could see myself doing it more and more. Obliviously with only 11 channels there is a theoretical limit to this isn't there?

Just wanting a friendly informative discussion :D

2. Addis

Addis The King

Never heard of that method before, but I don't really understand it.

All new APs should have repeater mode available, if not then they pretty much suck. A great feature for extending a wireless network over a large site.