Will these work in the Lenovo K330

Discussion in 'New Build / Upgrade Advice' started by Rouids, Feb 4, 2013.

1. Rouids

Rouids Geek Trainee

I'm looking to change the video card and power supply in the Lenovo K330 7727, the hardware will be:

Power supply: XFX PRO750W Core Edition 80+ Bronze ATX 750 Energy Star Certified Power Supply

Video card: ASUS 2GB GDDR5 DIGI+ VRM technology Graphics Cards HD7770-2GD5

Good? Other Recommendations?

Mainly Just need to know if theyre compatible with the motherboard in the K330

2. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Both will work just fine.

However, considering the smallish chassis, you might consider a modular power supply. You can use the cabling you actually need and reduce the clutter. Several well rated power supplies from Corsair and Thermaltake have these options. Antec may as well. A quick search for the XFX unit pulled up a very positive review at JohnnyGURU, so you're not hurting yourself.

For the Radeon 7770, again, it will work. It's a mid-range card, which should be fine for your system. If you can swing it a 7850 with 2GB might be around the $200 mark. I know Asus products typically run higher on pricing, so if you look, you might snag a much more beastly card for not much more.

3. Rouids

Rouids Geek Trainee

Thanks for the response, think I'll keep the power supply the same, because I may later on decide to build a computer with the video card and power supply. The reason I don't do it all at once, is because I'm on a $400 budget at the moment, but my current video card in the K330 seems to be dying.

Here's the list now:

Power supply: XFX PRO750W Core Edition 80+ Bronze ATX 750 Energy Star Certified Power Supply $109.99 at amazon
    Video card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7850 OC 2GB DDR5 HDMI/DVI-I/DVI-D/DP PCI-Express Graphics Card $218.24 at amazon
    Total: (without shipping) $328.23

I've now decided to go with a gigabyte radeon HD 7950 3gb, it slightly tips my $400 mark by $10 if I buy the power supply stated here, but I can make it.

And yes, I have done measurements, its a huge card compared to the one stock in the K330, but it will fit.

4. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

The right components can give a long life to a computer. It's never a bad choice to invest in a good power supply, it will serve you well. If $10 gets you into the high-end video card, definitely worth the small jump. You should be pleased with this upgrade.

5. Jan Benedict

Jan Benedict Geek

I'd recommend an NZXT Hale82 750W Modular @ $118 you'll get a PSU that was made by Seasonic PSU manufacturers and modular cabling. amazon link is here. Not that there's something wrong with XFX, but brands like Seasonic, NZXT (Hales series), Corsair are time-tested brands.