will you get the iPhone?

Discussion in 'Tablets, Phones and Music Players' started by Sniper, Oct 22, 2007.

1. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member

I am seriously considering it, if I do it won't be on the o2 contract for sure. I'd probably buy it from eBay, would work out much cheaper I think.

2. Impotence

Impotence May the source be with u!

get it from France, sim free :) [apple where forced to release it unlocked].

i would have a good look before you do though, nokia have been making some impressive phones recently (a friend was sitting playing doom on his the other day, took me by surprise!).

3. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member

yeh I read about it being unlocked in France, might just have to wait for it, instead of using thirdparty methods to unlock it.

4. Impotence

hmm, i'd still recomend something like OpenMoko

5. Ferg

Ferg Manbearpig

HELL no!

I have an N95 - watch this: (and all the related vids)

6. Impotence

"HELL no" to a IPhone or the openmoko?

7. Ferg

Ferg Manbearpig

To the iphone :)

8. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

I'm on O2 at the minute - because of the iphone release all customers who got their contract before a dat in September (I think it's the 19th) can upgrade to the iPhone and iPhone tariffs without extra contract charges (as in you don't have to buy your way out of your current contract to get the iPhone) - you still have to pay the money but I'm seriously considering it.
    The only thing is though - I want to know how much this 'unlimited' data allowance is - if it's a lot then I'd seriously consider it, if not then I'll forget it.

And yeah the N95 is a sweet phone, Nokia have been kicking out some great smart phones and PDA-like devices recently:

Nokia Nseries

Check out the N800 and the N810 =D

9. Impotence

Unlimited*

[OT]
    *please note unlimted does not mean unlimted, terms and conditions apply.
    [/OT]

Unlimited only seems to be enough for the average person now... i think they use the word because it sounds good to most people and it makes people feel confident that it will be enough for them... If i pay for unlimited then i want to be able to download/upload 24/7 @ 100% and not have them complain (not that i do [other than seeding Ubuntu & Debian iso's occasionally], i just i want to have that option

10. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

No. It's overpriced, and AT&T has poor service in my area. I'll see what Verizon has in 2009 when my contract is up and go from there.

11. syngod

syngod Moderator

No I'll be sticking with my BlackBerry 8830 and Samsung Upstage.

I guess #1 is there is no CDMA iPhone so it's worthless in the area I live and the BlackBerry can pretty much do anything the iPhone can with better security & a whole lot better compression on my data package.

For the unlimited data does it mention if it's a soft cap or not. I know here anyways most of the carriers have unlimited packages with a soft cap at 250mb although most usually won't do anything unless your really affecting their network.

12. Impotence

hmm... bit torrent seeding from my phone :p

13. Eagle

Eagle Geek Trainee

Am i the only one who gets annoyed by a phone that can do too much?

Mine isnt anywhere near as hightech as the iPhone or the n95, (Motorola E1) but i find myself getting it out and taking photos + videos purely for the sake of actually using it, cause i just don't often! Feel like a bit of a twat.

14. jmpb89

jmpb89 Geek Trainee

I hardly use my phone at all! and i'm sure i would love the IPhone or N95 or any other alternatives for maybe a week but then i would just forget about it most likely. It's not nearly worth it enough for the money! especially on my pay :D

15. cube_

cube_ Mega Geek

To Big B:
    In regards to your eBay idea go for it. I got my 2g from there for a good price and it came spankin new. I unlocked it myself to 1.1.4 it took 5 minutes was cery easy.
    A few days ago i tried upgrading to 2.0 and my god what a mistake that was...my phone was dead and stuck for 2 days. The update process failed and i had to restore it to 1.1.4. Bad part is it takes such an annoying process to downgrade and all my data was erased. If you plan on getting the iPhone and want it with 2.0 buy it WITH IT itll save you the trouble.
    Its a great phone. Safari is annoying though it crashes a lot for me on some sites.