Win XP X64 Pro boot floppy?

Discussion in 'Drivers and Firmware' started by peachsnowfalling, Nov 26, 2007.

1. peachsnowfalling

peachsnowfalling Geek Trainee

Does such a thing exist? I'm trying to update my BIOS drivers and the instructions say to make a boot floppy as part of the process. First problem is I don't have a floppy drive installed :doh:. I thought I might try booting from a USB drive. Only thing is, as per this page, I need to make a boot floppy image so I can copy the bootsector info. I tried downloading Windows' XP Pro (but not 64-bit) floppy disk utility from Microsoft only to get an error message that it doesn't support 64-bit. A search on Microsoft's website returns nothing.

I scoured the internet but it seems such a thing doesn't exist? I'm not the most tech-savvy, but what should I do? Can I just find a boot floppy image somewhere for regular XP and boot from that? What a hassle just to update my BIOS (and this because of an NV4_disp.dll BSOD that keeps popping up) ;)

Any help greatly appreciated. These random crashes are no fun and I've no clue whether it's a NVidia driver issue or my motherboard.

2. donkey42

donkey42 plank

may i please ask, why do you want to flash / update your BIOS / CMOS

3. peachsnowfalling

I started having blue screen of death issues with the infamous nv4_disp.dll error message and one of the suggestions was to make sure to have the BIOS updated. It seems impossible, however, as I don't have a floppy drive nor know if the existing bootables would work with Windows XP Pro x64.

4. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member

which motherboard is it? I know ASUS provide a windows program to flash the bios if need be.

5. peachsnowfalling

It's an MSI P965 Neo, actually. It's a piece of crap, actually, or the drivers disc is anyway. It's marketed as a dual-processor centered motherboard, yet I couldn't even run it since none of them are x64 compatible. Okay, off-topic...