Windows Cant See New Installed Ram

Discussion in 'CPU, Motherboards and Memory' started by krishanu, Dec 16, 2015.

1. krishanu

krishanu Geek Trainee

Hi all,
    Currently I am trying to install a 8GB RAM in my HP ab029tx(preinstalled 4GB).
    I inserted it one the 2nd SODIMM slot available and it got clipped as normal.
    But returning to windows , it is showing only 4GB(preinstalled).
    RAMMON from passmark is detecting the RAM in 2nd slot as shown in below image.
    [​IMG]
    But according to my windows10, there is no existence of the 2nd RAM.
    [​IMG]

I uploaded detailed result of RAMMON in html format in google drive.

I have checked msconfig and max RAM is unticked there.
    And according to spec, it supports upto 16GB. hp link
    Please help !!

2. Wicked Mystic

Wicked Mystic Big Geek

Remove 4GB stick and check what happens.

3. krishanu

krishanu Geek Trainee

hi ,

I tried by removing the 4GB and inserted the new 8GB in 1st slot. It didnt boot up. And the caps lock key light was toggling in a specific pattern. I gave it some time thinking it is doing something but no result. Then I inserted the 4GB RAM in the 2nd slot(see now the positions are swapped ,thus we can say the slots are working), and it booted up with the same old result( 4GB RAM detected)
    Now can we say the RAM stick is faulty if CPU-Z and RAMMON is showing it ? And their configurations are identical in 20 different parameters according to RAMMON, except voltage, where 4GB support both 1.35v & 1.5v and the new one only 1.5v. :confused::confused:

4. Wicked Mystic

Wicked Mystic Big Geek

So boot was not succesfull with only 8 GB stick? Then very probably stick is broken or there are compatibility problem. Memory compatibility problems exist still today altough we are far from DDR days when they were very common.

5. krishanu

krishanu Geek Trainee

Compatibility issue ! But all the parameters are same, except voltage..!!

6. Wicked Mystic

Wicked Mystic Big Geek

DRAM memory compatibility is never 100%. Sometimes RAM and motherboard just don't work together even if specs are OK.

7. krishanu

krishanu Geek Trainee

I got one thing, my preinstalled RAM is 1.35 volt(see attached spec sheet says DDR3L also) , and this new RAM is 1.5 volt.
    So is it like BIOS is set to 1.35 volt, as I dont see any option in BIOS to change the voltage!!

Attached Files:

8. Wicked Mystic

Wicked Mystic Big Geek

Oh yeah, that might be the problem. That laptop requires DDR3L and that 8GB memory is DDR3. Only difference is voltage, DDR3L is 1.35V and DDR usually is 1.5V.

Very stupid to require DDR3L but OEM machines have often that kind of traps. BIOS settings are very limited on OEM machines. If that laptop really requires DDR3L, then you must get DDR3L SO-DIMM.

9. krishanu

krishanu Geek Trainee

Hi guys, I was able to return the DDR3 RAM , and replaced with DDR3L RAM from transcend.
    It is getting detected now, thanks a lot for your help.
    May the glass be with you. :):)

Wicked Mystic likes this.