Windows XP SP2 Information

Discussion in 'Windows OS's' started by Sniper, Aug 24, 2004.

1. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member

Order Windows XP Service Pack 2 on CD

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/updates/sp2/cdorder/en_us/default.mspx

Windows XP Service Pack 2 Resources for IT Professionals

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/winxpsp2.mspx

Programs that are known to experience a loss of functionality when they run on a Windows XP Service Pack 2-based computer

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=884130&product=windowsxpsp2

List of fixes included in Windows XP Service Pack 2

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=811113

Toolkit to Temporarily Block Delivery of Windows XP SP2 to a PC Through Automatic Updates and Windows

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...BA-EA5D-4425-89C1-C1CB1CCD463C&displaylang=en

Feel free to list more information related to SP2!

2. ninja fetus

ninja fetus I'm a thugged out gangsta

all i noticed was a lot of security stuff that bugs the S____ outta me!

3. iKwak

iKwak Geek Trainee

Upgrade of SP2 was successful.

4. Addis

Addis The King

no! Zonealarm was in that list.

5. Sniper

maybe the latest version works just fine on SP2.

6. Addis

Addis The King

Probably so its not gonna stop me from getting sp2. Anyway big is the file?

7. Sniper

around 250MB download I think, but thats the network version! the one which should appear in the windows update site will be under 100MB I think!

8. Addis

Addis The King

i'm getting the network version so i can install it again and again when needed and for my other pc. Not too bad now i've got broadband.

9. littlesaj

littlesaj Geek Trainee

if you have got a intel prescoot processor then dont download sp2 until you have downloaded the fix from the micorosft website because if you install it and dont do the fix then your machine wont boot up without playing around in the bios which will give you a headache or by reinstalling windows, two things you dont wanna do...

10. Addis

Addis The King

I installed sp2 and it works great. Some new features i didn't see in the list of new features.

11. evanjanis

evanjanis Geek Trainee

Hey dose anyone know a way to disavble the auto protect option. I have it disabled but when i start my computer up in the right coner of the screen a little box pops up and reminds me that it is disabled.

12. C5GTR575M

C5GTR575M Geek Trainee

I have just installed the Windows XP service pack 2 today, and now was unable to restart window. The booting attemp to enter window, but instead restart my computer, and repeat the whole process again and again. However, I cannot use the XP cd to fix this problem, due to my cd-rom is external (it will only be detected by entering window) Therefore, I could only use floppy to solve this problem. I search through the website using my other computer, but seem like I cannot find anything smiliar to my situation. I am desperate and calling for help. If you guys do know what's going on with my windows, please do reply me and tell me what happen.

13. ProcalX

ProcalX all grown up

Windows XP does react very strangely some of the time, not so much now as it did when it was first released, but still..

Try enable USB 1.1 + USB 2.0 / USB Emulation in the bios, and choose USB-CDROM for first boot, then floppy drive, then try booting off your CD.

If you reinstall Windows XP, and you are installing SP2 via the Microsoft Update Site Make sure you DONT install ANYTHING else..

Literally install chipset drivers, USB 2.0 driver and your internet or network driver, then download ALL windows drivers before installing anything else..

14. C5GTR575M

C5GTR575M Geek Trainee

Thank you staff ProcalX. I am now going to try to activate my CD-Rom first according to your method. Thanks for you suggestion and reply, I will try my best and see what 'Bill Gate' up to.

15. C5GTR575M

C5GTR575M Geek Trainee

sorry, I cannot find the USB Emulation in the BIOS, only in ADVANCED - USB FEATURES - USB FLOPPY DISK: [Enabled] option. I can't make my external CD-Rom work.

Can you think of another direction for my CD-Rom to work?

16. C5GTR575M

C5GTR575M Geek Trainee

thank you guys, especially thanks to ProcoX for his suggestion and respond to my post. My external CD-Rom suprisingly work, after my 'furstration banging' and clicking all the buttons on the keyboard.
    But I just have one more question, if I can catch any peoples attention in here: if I reinstall window XP home edition, will my files and data all be erased? Last time I reinstalled window 2000 professional on my sister computer, nothing was erased thank goah, does that mean it would be same on XP Home Edition too?

17. syngod

syngod Moderator

If you just do a repair or reinstall over the previous OS it should keep everything intact.

The only way you should lose info is if you format first.

18. C5GTR575M

C5GTR575M Geek Trainee

thanks, thank you so much for the information, I will fix my window as soon as possible.

Truely

C5GTR575M