winxp locks up when using keyboard

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by efx2003, May 5, 2006.

1. efx2003

efx2003 Big Geek

When I try using my keyboard winxp locks up and I can do nothing. My mouse will work but when I use the keyboard it also locks up. The only way to restart the computer is to press the reset button. I have tried two different keyboards and the same problem happens. I have also tried plugging the keyboard and mouse into my USB port but still the same problem. The keyboard works in the BIOS setup. Could a virus cause this to happen. Please help if you can. Thank You

2. Karanislove

Karanislove It's D Grav80 Of Luv

Yup!......You need to check for viruses, trojans etc.. in your system...
    If you dont have any antivirus then there are some companies who provides free AV softwares check [link=http://www.hardwareforums.com/windows-xp-security-guide-9738/] this[/link] thread and thanks to mega for his hardwork.

3. efx2003

efx2003 Big Geek

Should I do my virus, trojan, etc. scan in safe mode or normal. After scanning do you think it will solve the problem. Please help if you can. Thank You

4. Karanislove

Karanislove It's D Grav80 Of Luv

In Normal mode will do. Sometimes some trojans/viruses doesnt allow to remove, than u can go into safe mode and delete it by urself.

5. donkey42

donkey42 plank

after you've done a virus / spyware check, is it a USB or PS/2 keyboard, cos USB keyboard cause problems, in safe mode (cos it can remove almost everthing)

6. efx2003

efx2003 Big Geek

My keyboard and mouse is a PS/2 setup. Did my virus scan in normal and safe mode and deleted any virus and trojans. Then I reinstalled the keyboard and mouse drivers. Its working fine now. Thanks for help.

7. donkey42

donkey42 plank

no probs, glad we could help