Wireless Computing

Discussion in 'Networking and Computer Security' started by lemmington, Nov 8, 2004.

1. lemmington

lemmington Geek Trainee

Need some help.I have just purchased a sony vaio notebook which has a built in wireless.I also have a desktop pc in the same house which is connected to the internet via an external modem from ntl.
    I want to have these 2 computers connected to the internet at the same time.
    How can I achieve this and do I have to purchase any additional software or hardware...............many thanks.

2. ProcalX

ProcalX all grown up

First off you have to realise that for your laptop to have a connection the internet which is controlled by your computer (as it has control over the ntl modem) you will need to setup a network.

Now, obviously by the title of your post you will be needing a wireless network, to do so your main computer will need to have wireless capabilities, ie it will need a wireless PCI card, very simple to install, like anything else. Just connect it in fire up your computer and install the necersary drivers and software.

And obviously your laptop will need a wireless connection (ie either one built in or you will need to purchase one)

Then for both your computers to connect as a network you will need a network hub, but in your case you will need a wireless network hub or switch. Your hub would ideally be connected to your desktop computer, you can then easily setup a wireless network, then share your NTL internet connection and your wireless laptop will have access across the wireless network to the internet via your NTL connection :)

Once you have the necersary hardware / goods post back and i will provide further detailed instruction as to setting up a secure wireless network :)

*I suggest that you buy either Belkin or Netgear wireless gear, both of which i highly recommend :good:

*2 Don't get Netgear products if you go for wired network connections however their wireless range is very good.

3. lemmington

lemmington Geek Trainee

Someone has suggested that I would need a router in order to solve this problem.

4. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

While XP does have the built-in Internet Connection Sharing, this also opens you wide up as far as security goes. The router is the way to go. While you can build one, in this case it's probably easier to just buy one. Anymore, pretty much all routers have a hardware firewall to give a barrier between you and the 'net.

5. ProcalX

ProcalX all grown up

Well it's not really a problem, as there is nothing actually wrong, however on the subject of a router, yes a router could be used although it is not necersary, i also use NTL as my broadband provider, 750 Speed, The internet is controlled ie plugged into my main machine, however all 6 other computers i have around the house are all connected and use my NTL connection as they are all on the same network. A router is definately not needed, and far from what is required :)

I Use a simple router, i also have 1 laptop that is connected wireless to my network via wireless hub.

I have my main machine that controls the internet (the computer that has the external USB / Ethernet modem connected) to also control the USB Wireless network hub (ie the computer that has the wireless hub plugged in).

All you need to do is to get a Wireless Network Hub or some form, set it up on the machine that connects directly to the internet, set your Wireless network hub to share your assign its IP automatically via your main computer, setup wireless encryption (if you want - although it is recommended) then setup your wireless laptop so it is on the same workgroup as your main computer is set to, and setup the wireless laptop to detect the wireless hub (which it can easily do via scanning) then set the laptop to use the same password for the wireless network as you set the wireless hub to require.

Hope this helps, would lay it out easier but i am in a rush + if you get a wireless router, you will have to setup gateways, which is unnecersary.

BigB is right about the router, however remember he is going to be using the router in an internal network, ie the router will not have direct access to the internet, therefore having the requirements of a hardware firewall that a router provides is not really required..

However.. a router would be good IF you are going to replace your NTL external modem, for a wireless router with ethernet support, ie: you can connect your main PC to it via network cable, and connect your wireless laptop to it via wireless.

But remember that NTL will not support you if you remove / replace your modem for one that they do not support..

+ by the sounds of things i think setting up a successful, secure, working router and reconfiguring it for internet use, + setting up wireless gateways would most likely be to much hassle for what he is going to be using.. and cost wise.

However thats my opinion, none the less you have 2 ideas of what you can do :) Also remember that you should try and secure XP as much as possible as its very insecure, i suggest disabling file and print sharing if you are not going to be doing that type of thing with your laptop.. or removing Netbieu (spelt wrongly)
    :good: