Wireless Networking HELL!!!!

Discussion in 'Networking and Computer Security' started by flyinggorila, Nov 6, 2004.

1. flyinggorila

flyinggorila Geek Trainee

ok heres my problem... we just upgraded from a 56k modem to cable, (its amazing) neway now we have a wireless network set up, (all linksys stuff if that matters) with a usb network adaptor for the computer. the problem is that every once in a while (sumtimes never, sumtimes every hour or so, sumtimes 3 times in a minute) windows decides to reset the connection, sayin that its disconnected then reconnecting and goin back to normal, all in about the time span of 10 seconds or so. this is really annoying and i've been looking for solutions to the problem for only god nos how long... can ne1 save me?

2. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

Well, in my limited experience with wireless, this is a pretty common thing, especially with home-grade equipment. There's a lot of things which can interfere with wireless connections, such as mirrors, steel, and devices which operate at similar frequencies. This is the reason that I stick with hardwired networks - for dependability. But, there are signal amplifiers which can boost your signal (be careful with this), or you could run an antenna from the router into the area in which you use your system most.

3. Addis

Addis The King

If it keeps resetting the connection then its probably due to the signal being weak or interference as AT said.

4. flyinggorila

flyinggorila Geek Trainee

its no the signal though, (the router is in the basement and i am on the 2nd floor mayb 50 feet at most away, and the router is said to go 500) the signal comes in fine. i believe from what i have seen around the internet its something to do with the windows xp service pack two. some part of it resets the connection for god nos why. i just don;t no why or how to fix it... nemore advice? :confused:

5. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

Well, TechRepublic has a bit of info on how SP2 affects wireless in XP, maybe that will help you to narrow down what your problem might be?

6. shan

shan Geek Trainee

There is a common problem with Windows XP and wireless adapters. Most new wireless adapters come with their own software utility, with an embedded driver install. So, when you install the software with the device, you get the utility for configuring the adapter as well as the driver.

What alot of people don't realize is that Windows XP incorporates it's own wireless control, and configuration utility. I have found that when the signal keeps dropping out, and coming back....it is one system taking control of the adapter from the other. They flip flop back and forth.

My solution to this is to remove the software utility that came with the adapter. Connect the USB adapter. When the device is recognized by Windows, insert the CD provided with your adapter. Cancel the installation of the software from the CD, and browse the cd for the driver folder. Allow Windows to install the driver only, not the additional software. Configure your wireless settings with the Windows Wireless Configuration utility.

Should be fine after that.