wireless router

Discussion in 'Networking and Computer Security' started by zeus, Jul 7, 2006.

1. zeus

zeus out of date

Ive always wanted the net on my computer but because the office computer is more important it has always had the phone line.
    Ive never wanted to network the copmuters either.

Ive just seen these wireless ADSL routers. Do they plug into your phone line and then either of the computers can log onto the router? Or do you still have to have one comuter always turned on and connected so then the other computer can log into the connected computer?

Never have understood netowrking!

2. thomas234

thomas234 Big Geek

Wireless routers with a modem in to connect directly to the net, then neither computers need be on. If you can set it up (its not that hard), then I think a wireless network can be very good. You can also wire computers (upto 4 on mine) to the box if you prefer. Networking is simple once you get the hang of it.

3. zeus

zeus out of date

Of course!!! I didnt think about the modem, thats the key bit. Im going to have to look at these things. Is it worth splashing the cash or can a cheapo one do just as well.
    If I stick the router in the office the other computer is only about 10m away, not exactly a strain I wouldn't have though.

4. thomas234

thomas234 Big Geek

I've never tried (or seen) a cheapo one, but make sure it has an ADSL modem in, as I think some cheapo ones don't. Something Like this would do the trick. If your other computer is only 10m away, it wouldn't really matter if you connected it wirelessly or wired, unless you're planning on transferring files from computer to computer, because if both computers are wired it will be faster.

5. donkey42

donkey42 plank

one thing mentioned (modem / router) most routers already have a built in modem, also if you want to use VoIP (free phone calls over net) you need a router with a built in gateway, and possibly one with a built in hardware firewall (better than software firewalls) and also wireless if you want all built into one "Router"

6. zeus

zeus out of date

I just want the interent. No file transfer of phone calls etc.

That link you gave thomas is the heapest ive seen yet! Most I found were £70 and up. £60 will do nicely!

Many Thanks

7. Karanislove

Karanislove It's D Grav80 Of Luv

You are going to use it for the office purposes. So for the long term, it might be a good deal for you.

8. Addis

Addis The King

I believe all routers act as a hardware firewall, as they automatically block access from outside unless ports are opened up with port forwarding.

9. donkey42

donkey42 plank

well if you want a bog standard router then this will probably do - no bells - no whistles - just a router (for windows) post if you use a different OS

10. thomas234

thomas234 Big Geek

That does look quite good for just connecting 2 computers that aren't too far away, but I think he wants a wireless router. A good feature I found about my wireless router is that if you ever decide to get a laptop, pda or even a new computer. they're easy to connect (providing they have WiFi).

11. JohnLynn

JohnLynn Geek Trainee

Off topic:

How do you pronounce this damn thing.

rOOter (or) rOUTer

Plz don't tell me to check OU dictionary. I have. Thanks in advance.

12. thomas234

thomas234 Big Geek

I think in America they pronounce it (phoenetically) rawter and in England *most* people pronounce it rOOter

13. beretta9m2f

beretta9m2f Karate-Chop Action Gabe

Yep, Yankees like me pronounce it rawter, with me though it depends what i'm talking about. For instance a road i would pronounce root, like route 80, but when speaking of a pathway, i pronounce it rawt.... as in "go the other route" strange huh?

14. JohnLynn

JohnLynn Geek Trainee

I pronounce the same way you do. What is strange to me is here in England, everyone i met pronounce it as rOOter while the Oxford Dict says rOUter (OU as "out"). Of course, it doesn't matter so long as we can communicate each other. :). Just being curious. Thanks for ur reply mr Yankee. How's weather over there!

15. zeus

zeus out of date

I personally say rOUTer simply because rOOter doesnt doesnt sound like a real word.

Does the Oxford dictionary mention anything about computers under the word router? Maybe rOUTer was a word used before computer routers were invented? Though I do feel like a yank when I say it. Next ill be saying vacation and "write me" !! The only time we see/hear the word vacant(ion) is on toilet doors!

Anyway, it is just a bog standard wireless router with a modem built in which im after.
    The office and my computer have nothing to do with each other. The only reason I would ever need to share a file is to get linux packages off the net to my computer. But if I had the net on my computer there would be no need to share stuff. At the moment im running around putting 10kb files on DVD-RWs and its annoying!

The office computer is ONLY used to download emails and visit HWF with really!
    The main office comp that has all the work stuff on is not on the net. We dont want it to go near the net. Its just a way of keeping it clean and simple and running quickly with minimum effort. On occasion we might stick something on a floppy to email out but most of the time its reports which are created and so need printing. Setting up a network between computers would be a bit much just to move 1 file every other week.

16. Karanislove

Who is MR. Yankee?
    Thomas????

17. beretta9m2f

beretta9m2f Karate-Chop Action Gabe

Freakin thunderstorms!!! Yeah communication's what it's all about. Lol i guess i'm Mr. Yankee b/c i'm from Northern US. New Jersey to be exact, northern NJ, 12 minutes from New York City...whoopeee....

18. Karanislove

You mean everybody from northern NJ can be called Yankee?

19. zeus

zeus out of date

Everyone in america can be called Yankee I reckon. Thats why they're Yanks, we're Poms and your flamin' aussie.

20. Karanislove

I didnt get this properly. Could u please elaborate this?