Wol Function Not Working Properly On Msi Z170a Gaming

Discussion in 'CPU, Motherboards and Memory' started by BooBoss, Jun 15, 2016.

1. BooBoss

BooBoss Geek Trainee

Hello everyone.

I'm not sure if I should choose motherboard or networking category since issue involves both. For the first time in my life I'm unable to force Wake On LAN (WOL) function to work properly. I was trying MSI support but they literally sucks.

Motherboard: MSI Z170A Gaming
    NIC: Integrated I-219V

First of all there are two options to manage WOL to be set in BIOS. WOL can be controller by BIOS by itself or by OS. When configured to be controller by OS it doesn't work AT ALL no matter what I configure in NIC driver settings in Windows. When configured to be controller by BIOS it only works partially. System can be powered up by WOL packet when in stand-by mode but not when completely shutdown.

What I've setup in BIOS:
    - Wake Up Events: PCI, OnBoard LAN
    - Enabled IPv4 Stack for onboard LAN
    - Disabled EuP2013

What I've setup in Windows:
    - Can't recall right now but enabled anything about WOL in Power Management tab of NIC configuration

Funny thing is that in NIC configuration section in BIOS there's information that ethernet link is established but Wake-On-LAN function is not available and greyed-out (see attachment) I told that to MSI but they seems to not understand simple words or maybe don't know how computers works (talking about support of course).

20160614_220624.jpg

Do any of you guys faced same problem on this motherboard or have any clue how to solve this? Will be appreciate.

Of course BIOS, drivers, etc. are all up-to-date.

2. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Did you follow the BIOS update instructions to the letter? I know when I flashed a different MSI board, I missed a step and the BIOS would have a boot issue with a cold boot.

What's the specs of the rest of the thing?

3. BooBoss

BooBoss Geek Trainee

Problem actually sovled. It seems that in Windows 8/10 Fast Boot option can sometimes interfere with WOL. Disabling Fast Boot solved the problem. Doesn't change the issue that WOL doesn't work if set to be controlled by OS rather than BIOS but since it's working now I don't want to deal with the topic anymore. Any way, thanks for response.