wont revognize new hard drive

Discussion in 'Storage Devices' started by rotakk, Aug 11, 2010.

1. rotakk

rotakk Geek Trainee

hey,
    i just put a new hard drive into my computer because it has minimal memory. i plugged it all in with the help of my brother but when we started the computer and went to my computer it only shows the original "Local Disc (C:)" even though when we started it up it did a system check thing on it so i assumed it worked however it didnt.. what did i do wrong? im new to this.

2. RHochstenbach

RHochstenbach Administrator

Welcome to HWF :)

Go to Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Computer Management > Disk Management. Right-click on the new disk and choose Initialize. Follow all steps and then you should see the new disk in My Computer.

3. rotakk

rotakk Geek Trainee

ok i went to the place and right clicked it but there is no initiate so i clicked format because thats what my bro said to do and it had 7GBs used but it came up with a error message and said to restart the administrative console or computer..

4. rotakk

rotakk Geek Trainee

alright i got it back but there wasnt a initialize thing so i click format because theres 7GBs used on it and it said there was an erroe and had to restart the administrative tools console or computer...

5. RHochstenbach

RHochstenbach Administrator

Could you please make a screenshot of Disk Management where it's showing all hard drives? Just press the PrintScreen button and paste it inside MS Paint. Save it as a jpeg file and attach it to a reply here.