Would appreciate some advice building a new machine

Discussion in 'New Build / Upgrade Advice' started by Happy People, Jul 16, 2009.

1. Happy People

Happy People Geek Trainee

Hey everyone, I'm new here.
    I'm building myself a new PC and would love some help selecting parts. First and foremost, I want a quality build, but by no means does it have to be top of the line. Efficiency is what I'm after. I would like to be able to comfortably play games on it, like assassin's creed or crysis.

Mostly I'd just like you guys to help me pick out the right hardware like if I should upgrade certain parts, or if there's a better deal, or if I could even stand to go with something cheaper. I would like to keep the whole thing under $800. *Please note I will not be needing to buy a new CPU, as I plan on using the Intel Core 2 Duo Conroe E6850 from my current computer.

Thanks for your help. Here's a list of the parts I was planning on using:

GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 260 Superclocked Edition bundled with Silverstone 850 Watt PSU - $248.99

Motherboard: ASUS Striker II Extreme Intel bundled with 3GB of Patriot DDR3 Ram - $239.99

Case: Antec Three Hundred Mid Tower - $54.95

Hard Drive:Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB - $99.99

Disk Drive:LG 22X DVD Burner - $27.99

Heat Sink:Masscool CPU cooler - $22.99

Total: $794.88

Thanks again, everyone. I'm open to any and all suggestions.

2. BoBBYI986

BoBBYI986 Geek

I would get rid of that Asus motherboard absolute crap, just instant failure. go for a better brand such as EVGA or Gigabyte.