would this work?

Discussion in 'Networking and Computer Security' started by David Jones, Aug 10, 2012.

1. David Jones

David Jones Geek Trainee

I currently have in my laptop a single 100 MB/s networking card (it's also a bad laptop) but for christmas I'm planning to upgrade to a desktop gaming PC which I will build my self, but I was wondering as my internet is really bad (we're promised 2 MB/s but on speedtest.net I rarely go above 0.50 :/ ) I was wondering if I set up two or more 300 MB/s cards on my desktop would I be able to reach higher speeds or will there be very little difference?

Thanks, Dave.

2. donkey42

donkey42 plank

as you don't specify if your exiting NIC is Gigabit compatible (it most probably is unless it's an old laptop) but yes you can in involves Bonding multiple NICs so many NICs function as an array of NICs look here, and usually the speed increases to the maximum the line can handle, but in you case as the line speed appears to have maxed out

unfortunately in you case it will not increase by much if anything at all

also what OS are you using ?

3. donkey42

donkey42 plank

edit: being thinking, before you think about bonding multiple NICs you should try to optimize you line speed, there are many sites offering advice like kitz.co.uk or maybe another completely ISP independent sites they also have many utilities to tune you router (home gateway) to work in unison with your particular line stats

then you may be able to do some bonding of NIC's