X/K/ubuntu users PLEASE READ!

Discussion in 'Linux, BSD and Other OS's' started by megamaced, Aug 22, 2006.

1. megamaced

megamaced Geek Geek Geek!

Today's update of the Xserver (provided by your distributions automatic updates feature) does not work properly! Installing this update will cause X to fail at boot time.

If you have installed this update already (like me :( ) you can find the fix here

Surely this update was tested before it was released? This is a real mess up from the ubuntu people

I actually installed this update earlier this morning but I haven't restarted the computer since. So tonight, when I get home, I can look forward to tearing my hair out....

2. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

Wow, that's... that's some major breakage! Somebody on the Ubuntu team dropped the ball, the latest X-org updates in Debian work just fine. :( Judging by the Ubuntu forums, there was some drama involving the "special" sudoers implementation on Ubuntu.

[ot]Worst of all, the primary userbase of Ubuntu are new to Linux, so that makes the "fix" even more painful. :( :( ...I'm taking the *ubuntu links out of my sig. Can't recommend a distro like that to n00bs![/ot]

That said, if anybody has this problem, post here and we'll get you up and going again.

3. megamaced

It's quite shocking to be honest! The fix involves heavy use of the command line - not very n00b friendly at all.

This is a major blunder - the kind of thing that Microsoft is renowned for with it's own patches.

I haven't booted my computer since I installed the update, so I am dreading turning it on later tonight :confused:

Luckily I only installed the update on my Kubuntu machine, so I can use my other computer with ubuntu if it comes to that

4. Anti-Trend

As many on their forums have mentioned, it's like nobody tested the package at all before it shipped!

5. megamaced

Well now I am not sure if I did install it or not!

I booted my computer and everything seems OK. I've just updated my repositories and tried dist-upgrade and I can see xserver-xorg-core wanting to be updated. But I am not sure whether that is the broken one, or an updated one to address the issues!

In any case, my computer seems to be uneffected by this update, so i think i'll leave things as they are right now until I know more

6. Addis

Addis The King

Really surprised they didn't test this well enough before release, those poor new Linux converts....

7. Willz

Willz MiCrO$oFt $uK$ :D

Thank god i dint settle in with Kubuntu!

8. kenji san

kenji san Geek Trainee

This is EXACTLY why it is a really, really, really bad idea to blindly update everything on your machine. If something works and has no security advisories, don't mess with it.

Damn you ubuntu! Automatic updates are a bad idea.

It must be a thumb to suck on for the windows groupies who have a primal urge to update the system every damn day. :x:

9. megamaced

UPDATE:

The bug only affects some configurations. A few Dell machines and ATi graphics chipsets are the most vunerable

The repositories have been updated with a fixed version, so users only need to upgrade their computer as normal.

Version 1:1.0.2-0ubuntu10.3 is the bad version
    Version 1:1.0.2-0ubuntu10.4 is the fixed version

Turns out that I did install the bad version, so I am lucky to get away with it :cool:

10. donkey42

donkey42 plank

right the problem is:
    • black screen (except panel, attachment)
    • lot of HDD activity on boot (at first, more than normal)
    • kpersonslizer appearing on every boot
    • ksplash crashes when set to "Standard" but doesn't crash when set to "Default"

this occured after fixing the Xserver bug (fixed with 10.4) everything else appears to be fine
    any ideas guys

Edit: sorry guys attatchment didn't work, don't know why any ideas ?

Edit: BTW i have an ATI Radeon 7k, and no icons on desktop, but 3 in desktop directory

11. Anti-Trend

You probably need to reinstall your video drivers.

12. donkey42

donkey42 plank

cheers, will try finding them, thankies xxx

13. donkey42

donkey42 plank

hi, thanks, but reinstalled grfx drivers a non booting problem returned, tried finding url to driver i installed, is a bookmark in FF (but can't use cos booted live CD) but cant find it, will continue looking, think it was on ubuntuforums somewere

14. megamaced

You should download the ATi drivers from the repositories. See here

15. donkey42

donkey42 plank

i presume i need to enter those commands into kubuntu's "safe mode"
    is there a way to enter them from a booted live CD, as i can't write (car accident years ago, right arm knackered) hope so!