XP installation problem

Discussion in 'Windows OS's' started by Tech, Aug 26, 2007.

1. Tech

Tech Padawan

Hi everyone.

I'm trying to install XP ( temporarily ) on one of my machines but when i try to boot from the CD the BIOS checks it and goes onto the HDD. I've installed a couple of times from this CD and i seem to remember reading something about a set number of installs a disk can do.

Am I right and is there any way around it?

2. RHochstenbach

RHochstenbach Administrator

You might need to check if the install disc is clean. Is it an original disc, or a backup/slipstreamed copy?

3. Tech

Tech Padawan

Well the disk looks good and I know the drive to be good too. However i must admit that the Disk is a copy and not one from Microsoft.

4. RHochstenbach

If the files of the original disc are directly copied, you can't boot from the disc. You'll need to make a bootable copy. Look for instructions here.
    [ot]You may copy an original Windows XP cd, as long as you use a legally obtained product key[/ot]

5. Tech

Tech Padawan

No worries there. I've booted from the disk before so its not just a plain file transfer copy. LIke I said I'm wondering if its some kind of autorun counter although my Windows knowledge is questionable at best so I'm likely to be wrong. I think I'll just install it on my second box which as luck would have it already has Windows 2000 installed and can run the setup program no worries :)

6. RHochstenbach

Yeah you can perform an upgrade from Win 2000 to XP Pro and Media Center. But if you can't boot from the cd, you might need to check if the disc drive is set as the first boot device in the BIOS.

7. Tech

Tech Padawan

Nope its definatley the disk because I booted from my GParted disk just the other day. hmm seems like a strange problem then! No problems, cause you always learn the most from "strange" problems, right?! :D

8. allendehl

allendehl Geek Trainee

Ok...green and cold....a frog!!

If you are sure your system is set to boot from a CD as the first choice, you'd boot from this same CD before....I can only think in one thing...your CD passed away.
    I have an XP SP2 CD that had been used 1343 times...and its still good(of course, its a copy too) So I don't think that there is a counter ...even though, its impossible for the setup to update that "counter" since it needs to burn the info in the CD.
    Change the CD and double check the setup configuration.

GL

9. Tech

Tech Padawan

Yeh....you're right. Cheers :)