XP will not boot up

Discussion in 'CPU, Motherboards and Memory' started by dolby49, Feb 3, 2007.

1. dolby49

dolby49 Geek Trainee

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My XP HOME will now not boot up. The first problem i noticed was a pop up that warned me that my hard drive was nearly full depite having 8gb free. I then got the message again the next day. I did a virus scan, restore, scandisk etc, all the usual things. It now wont boot beyond the POST screen and just freezes. I tried another PSU,changed the motherboard, checked the RAM all to no avail.I tried the HD in another computer and it worked after several boots. I did a xp repair, and it worked on the other PC. When i put it back in mine it crashed again at the same point! Can anybody suggest an answer because i am stumped?

2. craig84

craig84 Geek Trainee

My PC was working fine, then, for apparently no reason, it stopped at the POST. There was a number 0075 at the bottom right of the screen. Didn't know what had happened. Strange thing was that I thought it was the RAM. So I made sure it was seated correctly and tried again. It worked fine, then same thing happened. So ofcourse I checked the RAM again and it didn't work this time I was absolutely stumped. Tried everything it then turned out to be the Keyboard that wasn't connected, a pin had broken off. Bought a £5 Keyboard and now works fine. I apologise for the long story rather than just an answer lol. But PCs have the tendency to crash, not boot, etc. for seemingly unrelated reasons. Hope this helps but it may be something completely different with your PC. I would first format and partition the drive again, then reinstall Windows. Check all connections and HD jumper. Making sure it is the primary master and see what happens.