XP2800+ or Sempron 3000+

Discussion in 'CPU, Motherboards and Memory' started by kRooGz, Jan 3, 2005.

1. kRooGz

kRooGz Geek Trainee

After the death of my old XP2400+ I need to replace it with something a little newer. But with XP's being so hard to get now I have been looking at a Sempron 3000+. Is there much difference between the performance of the Sempron 3000 and the XP2800. My mobo is an Abit KW7 if this makes a difference.

2. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Normally, the XP2800 would have a larger cache than the Sempron, but it seems the 3000+ has a 512kB cache. Now, you have to realize that an XP2800 doesn't translate into the same thing as a Sempron 2800+. The XP2800 runs @ 2.08GHz, the Sempron 3000+ @ 2.0GHz, both with 512kB L2 cache. Going with Newegg's pricing, you can snag the OEM XP2800+(meaning just the CPU itself) for $115, and the retail version for $138. The retail box Sempron runs for $132, with no OEM chip at Newegg. Personally, I'd get the OEM XP2800+ just because it's a little faster. Do note that there are two versions of the 2800+, one with a 333MHz FSB and one with a 266MHz FSB. The 266MHz FSB is a few dollars more (currently $119 @ Newegg), and is available for those who are limited to a 266MHz FSB max motherboard.

Your motherboard should work fine with either option. The only problem I can see is that the BIOS could be old enough (and this depends on when you got it), that it won't recognize the Sempron. It should boot without problem, however, but it'll tell you something along the lines that you have an "unknow CPU", and you may have to set the multiplier and FSB correctly. More than likely, the motherboard should autodetect the settings. If it doesn't, it'll let you know that you need to correctly set the speed.

3. kRooGz

kRooGz Geek Trainee

I only got the mobo last week, and the box says it's Sempron Compatible. I'm not too worried about squeezing every last Mhz out of it. As long as it's quicker than my old system, I'll be happy. My old rig was XP2400+, Shuttle AK32 mobo(only 4x AGP) 512 Mb Geil 333 pc2700, and a GeForce 4 Ti4200 128mb. I now have a GeForce FX5900XT, the KW7 mobo and one the aforementioned chips. Hopefully it will out perform the old rig. I'll only be using it for CoD, CoD:UO and CS:S. I'm hoping it will be fine :D

p.s. Am I right in thinking that OEM means you get no warranty support?

4. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

OEM means you get the CPU only and whatever warranty the retailer gives you. The retail box would include a fan and a 3 year warranty.

5. ninja fetus

ninja fetus I'm a thugged out gangsta

I would get the 2800+. I have a sempron 2400+ and there is a pretty big performance loss over my old 2600+

6. kRooGz

kRooGz Geek Trainee

Gonna go with the XP2800 Barton 333mhz. Managed to find a place thats got some left pretty near to my house :D Retailing at £68:48 OEM and £6:92 for a kick ass cooler :good:

Thanks for the advice guys.