Xubuntu 6.06 Beta

Discussion in 'Linux, BSD and Other OS's' started by megamaced, Apr 21, 2006.

1. megamaced

megamaced Geek Geek Geek!

Source: DistroWatch

Jani Monoses has announced the first public beta release of Xubuntu, the latest addition of the growing tree of Ubuntu derivatives: "We are pleased to announce that the first public beta release of Xubuntu, the latest official addition to the Ubuntu family of derivative distributions has arrived. Xubuntu is built around the solid Ubuntu core and the friendly and relatively light-weight XFce desktop environment, with the specific goal of providing a nice user experience even on older hardware. This release includes a recent code snapshot of the upcoming XFce 4.4 desktop environment." Find more details and changes in the release announcement. A full set of live and installation CDs for three architectures is available in the download directory; here is a quick link to the i386 live CD image: xubuntu-6.06-beta-live-i386.iso (378MB, MD5).

[​IMG]

2. sabashuali

sabashuali Ani Ma'amin

Thanks Mega

I have just deleted a thread as I did not realise you posted yourself.
    I have installed Vector on an old Armada last night.
    I was amazed at how the little heap of :swear: handled the lightweight window managers.
    After trying all the various desktops very quickly, I found that the easiest to get around with, was XFce.
    I have worked for a few hours trying to set-up my Speedtouch 330 and hit a dead-end at about 1AM. I was going to give it another go later today when I stumbled over the great news posted at Distro-Watch.

I will give it a go later tonight when squatters have gone to bed....

Thumbs up mega! :cool:

3. megamaced

megamaced Geek Geek Geek!

XFCE is very good as you now know. Xubuntu uses a newer version of XFCE than VectorLinux. It's got a new file manager which is supposed to be a ton better.

VectorLinux is good, once all the creases have been ironed out. Little things that should work, just don't seem to, or don't get installed by default.

Some things I had to change:

I had to install xscreensaver, even though it should have been included in the first place.
    Had to uncomment a line in FSTAB to get my pendrive to work. What I don't understand is why it was commented in the first place :confused:
    Had to install 'nfs-utils' to share files with other computers.
    Had to edit xorg.conf to change the resolution.

I'm not too bothered though, because I have learned a lot about Linux in the process. :)

Let me give you a VectorLinux tip:

Wanna search for and install software?

Just type: slapt-get --search program

So if I wanted to search for music manager like amarok, I might type:

slapt-get --search mp3

and to install:

slapt-get --install amarok

4. sabashuali

sabashuali Ani Ma'amin

Thanks for the tip but if Xubuntu works for me I will stick with it.
    Better the devil you know... no wha u mean......... ;).

I will trial it and if it works well I might put it on my main laptop - Evo 610 with P4, so should fly! :cool: