Xubuntu and Kubuntu

Discussion in 'Linux, BSD and Other OS's' started by Willz, Aug 14, 2006.

1. Willz

Willz MiCrO$oFt $uK$ :D

Whats the difference between Xubuntu & Kubuntu?

2. Addis

Addis The King

Xubuntu uses the XFCE desktop environment, which is light and suitable for low end systems with low RAM.

Kubuntu uses the KDE desktop, which is very rich with features, slick and customisable, my preferred DE. It uses more RAM though (roughly same as GNOME which is used in Ubuntu).

They all use the same core packages though, so they're all the same except for the desktop environment's really. Same under the bonnet.

3. Willz

Ah, i think KDE will be better, i am downloading the DVD Version of Kubuntu, hoping to be playing games like ut2k4 and gta sa on it, hoping to have VMware Server on it too so i can get windows xp running inside Xubuntu, as good as linux should be, cant live withought XP, the loss would be too great in terms of all the apps i have, the games (needs dual boot for games :( )

4. zeus

zeus out of date

KDE is probably the best choice if your migrating from XP. They look similar.
    Linux is great, just stick at it.
    Im thinking about giving xbuntu a try myself. I just get lost with all these distros. I dont get understand the differences. I suppose its matter of trying them all!

5. Willz

xubuntu aint KDE some sort of other thing, Kubuntu is KDE.

6. zeus

zeus out of date

Yeah I know. I dont like KDE. Its got too much crap with it for me, which is one of my main reasons for getting away from windows. Ive only really used Xfce for any great period of time. Its got a new file manager now too.

7. Addis

Addis The King

Dual boot is fine, at least you're using Linux for something. I try to think to myself when I turn on my computer, what do I want to do? 90% of the time Linux offers everything I need, even online gaming with ut2k4 natively, without using Cedega to provide DirectX emulation.

Internet and networking performance under Linux is fantastic, as well as general speed because of the great memory management.

8. Willz

hmmm, i think i will give cadega a shot, whats it like playing a game in cadega? do games that are supported play perfectly?

9. Willz

Ok, guys, i think i've found the problem, you know i was saying in another thread that on Paragon Partition manager, i got a big red box, with INVALID in it for my whole second hdd, well i take the second hdd out, and it seems to be able to boot, it's a wierd problem, dunno what it means, here is a screenie:
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v319/thehub/ERROR.jpg

10. zeus

zeus out of date

What dont you know what means?
    The invalid? Whats on (or was on) the drive?

I cant remember where that other topic got to but Knoppix might be worth a try.

Ive just had a look now. Im not surprised I couldnt remember, someone hijacked your thread!

Besides, isnt this best off in your partition thread.

11. Willz

On the hdd, there is no os, just files, documents and settings backup, games, movies, documents, apps etc...

I dont actually think it is the HDD now, as i took the ide cable out of the DVD-RW and it started loading, i mean, how the hell can the DVD-RW stop the damnd os from loading, its really annoying, i need that DVD-RW.

I almost got into Kubuntu, looks quite good, i like how you can change the desktop with adding colours etc.., cant do it with windows, and then my crappy NEC DVD-RW gets in the way of things :mad: