year change

Discussion in 'CPU, Motherboards and Memory' started by tonarb, Nov 21, 2006.

1. tonarb

tonarb Geek Trainee

why does the year revert to 2002 on startup.

2. donkey42

donkey42 plank

most probably, your BIOS battery is dead, you can buy a replacement from most computer shops for about £3

Edit: how old is the machine please ?

Edit: does the time also reset and does the system display a message at POST ?

3. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Well, that's probably the default year for the BIOS on your system. Like already mentioned, it's probably showing up due to the CMOS battery loosing charge.

4. megamaced

megamaced Geek Geek Geek!

You need to purchase a CR2032 battery

5. Willz

Willz MiCrO$oFt $uK$ :D

Doesent the Cmos battery always get recharged when the computer is on?

6. zeus

zeus out of date

I dont think you can get rechargeable button batteries. If its physically possible you might be on to one there!
    They last for years usually anyway. I think my oldest comp is '96 and the battery is still kickin' now. I had the multimeter on it the other day and its like new!

7. Willz

Willz MiCrO$oFt $uK$ :D

ah, coz i swapped my Cmos battery with a neighbour, as his computer always had an error at boot "Cmos Checksum Bad", so i put in my cmos battery, and it stopped, when i put his in my computer, i got the Cmos Checksum Bad error, but, that day, my computer was on alot of the time, and when i turned the computer off for the night, the next day i tried it, and i did not get an error, and i could save cmos settings, infact its still working now, but i get Cmos Checksum Bad when i reset the cmos, but it usually goes away after a while.