yes i'm giving MS the boot

Discussion in 'Linux, BSD and Other OS's' started by donkey42, Jun 18, 2006.

1. donkey42

donkey42 plank

yes i'm giving MS the boot, but do i need:

adware scanner
    i know i dont need antivirus

my router: Hayes 15805 (ethernet router)

firewall (or is the one built into my router enough, even though software still requests access to net, with only my routers firewall)

2. pelvis_3

pelvis_3 HWF Member For Life

You don't need any Virii or Ad-Ware scanned at all, but linux does ship with one installed (ClamAV?) to scan Windows machines. Mandriva also comes with a nice interactive Firewall built in, justs needs to be enabled.

3. Addis

Addis The King

Really if you're behind a router, and you're running linux, you don't need to do anything with a firewall. The router should block all connection attempts to your computer unless you allow it via port forwarding on the router's config screen.

4. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

If you're running Linux, you don't need an AV or anti-malware tools. If you've got a NAT router, you don't need a software firewall either.

5. donkey42

donkey42 plank

yeah, its a NAT router (Hayes 15805) just asking cos i'm paranoid about being hacked, thankx guys, i owe you all, big time, dave

6. donkey42

donkey42 plank

just thinking, is the firewall integrated into my router enough, or do i need to enable mandriva's firewall (as pelvis said)

7. Addis

Addis The King

Yes its enough, without spyware or viruses in Linux, theres no need to block outgoing traffic. And incoming traffic is blocked anyway by your router.

8. donkey42

donkey42 plank

thanx pal (not the dog food)