Yes or No?

Discussion in 'CPU, Motherboards and Memory' started by Debsinputney, Nov 22, 2008.

1. Debsinputney

Debsinputney Geek Trainee

Hi

I would like any views as to whether or not to cut my losses and run. I have a Philips PC which cost me around £600 less than 3 years ago. It started giving me trouble about a year ago. To cut a long story short I had a new hard drive fitted and it worked for about 3 months and then packed up on me again. i took it to a local shop where i was told the capacitors had blown on the motherboard and it wouldn't be worth fixing, as i could buy a new desk top for less than it would cost to repair. If i buy a new pc would i be able to salvage anything from this one, bearing in mind i have the monitor /keyboard and would only need a base unit

Just really looking for a second expert opinion.:confused:

2. zeus

zeus out of date

If you need a new motherboard you can get one for £30ish plus... depends on the specs of your pc now and also whether you need to upgrade.
    http://www.ebuyer.com/search?sort=pricelow&store=2&cat=14&limit=10&page=1

http://www.ebuyer.com/search?sort=pricelow&store=2&cat=222&limit=10&page=1

I dread to think what a shop would charge to install the baord but if you want to do it yourself we will help. Its very easy.... you will just need a few hours and a little patience. A board can take no more than 10mins to change once you've done it a few times.

For surfing the net and word processing etc you wont need to upgrade. It doesnt matter what PC you have those two tasks can be done on any pc.... just depends on which OS you wan to use.

What CPU and RAM do you have. Is there a graphics card installed or is it on board etc. If you know the model number of your broken motherboard that would be best. Or even the model of the base unit as a whole.

Philips.... ive never come accross a philips pc before. I wonder who makes their motherboards!?

3. Debsinputney

Hi Zeus

Yes I get a few surprised.. looks when i mention philips.Its a philips freevents LS1600, it has intel pentium 4 processor,RAM not sure what that means (sorry bit thick) has a tv tuner, built in IR receiver, ATI Radeon 256mb, i got it at pc world and haven't seen them since. trying to locate info anywhere has been difficult i must say.
    No idea what model m/b it is i can see serial numbers inside though? :confused: Thing is I like the pc as it is quite a nice slim design so I would like to fix it if possible. Man in the PC shop said about £200 for new M/B?

4. zeus

zeus out of date

Ok, its a pc made for Dixons.... thats why Philips assembled it. Probably to sell the LCD monitors.
    There is little info on the board but from whay I can tell its an msi board with integrated tv card.

Do you use it as a media centre or as a normal pc? The TV card and IR makes it a bit more complicated.

5. Debsinputney

I did use it for watching TV - but have to say not on a regular basis - i use my pc mostly for web browsing - music downloads and phot editing etc but not gaming or anything fancy - it was useful as a 2nd TV but i dont use it for downloading films or anything - I am happy to buy a new reliable PC but it just seems a waste to dump something that may have useable components? I have a reliable laptop but prefer to use desk top ~I just find it more user friendly and i like the bigger monitor - eyesight not what it was :D