Yessss!!!!

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by KenshinX, Jan 27, 2006.

1. KenshinX

KenshinX Big Geek

This may not be much of an overclock for most, but to me its almost as good as my good ole 3500+. I got my Sempron 2800+ 64 to 2402.7mhz or 2.4ghz that is a 800mhz overclock I could go much more, but I want to wait until tomarrow when I get a Zalman 92mm heatsink fan or a thermaltake Big typhoon from compusa, some artic silver 5 and a North bridge cooler/fan.

Haven't done any test like sandra or 3dmark yet, but surely will. I have a CPU-Z pic I will post it as soon as I find my cable for my camera or I'll just borrow my moms. Never thought a cheap processor like this would go so far, Igot a lucky draw.

My goal is to get to 2.6 or 2.7 ghz on air thats a 1ghz overclock and right now im on stock cooling w/stock thermal paste or pad whatever AMD calls it. Idle now: 32.2c full load (well while playin medal of honor or something/windows media player) 36.3-38.9c

:)

2. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

That's a nice OC!:good:

3. megamaced

megamaced Geek Geek Geek!

That is quite a shock actually! The Intel equivalent to a Sempron, which would be a Celeron, wouldn't be able to overclock like that! In fact, I don't think you can overclock a Celeron at all!

4. KenshinX

KenshinX Big Geek

Yea this guy on hard forums that informed me after I said I didnt know much about overclocking that 2.2ghz(which was my previous goal) was nothing for a 2800+. especially since he got to 2.7 on the 2500+ that the lowest sempron 64bit I believe ( unless theres a 2400) he mustve been lucky buying that one.

PS: mega your specs are almost exactly like mine except with a rival pc even down to the monitor lol

5. KenshinX

KenshinX Big Geek

6. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

Yes you can :p, I've got mine at 3.15GHz (from 2.6GHz) on air (24-29*C Idle 37-39*C Load) with no voltage increases...

KenshinX - That's a nice overclock there, I hope you can reach much higher speeds! Remember to take it slow though...

7. KenshinX

KenshinX Big Geek

Thanks, yea I only got a 400mhz increase with default voltages thats about 2036mhz but I wanted to go higher could'nt stop my wonddring fingers.

8. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Intel and AMD both take their high-powered desktop CPU's and modify them with less cache and/or a slower FSB and sell them at a much lower price, typically renaming the core. It's also thought that they may take some cores for the Athlon/Pentium with part of the cache being bad, disabling the bad half, and remarking them as the Sempron/Duron or Celeron.

To quote 3dfx on overclocking: "If it has a clock, it can be overclocked."

The CPU class has nothing to do with it.

9. beretta9m2f

beretta9m2f Karate-Chop Action Gabe

Wow thats a massive overclock, How much could an AMD athlon 64 3700 2.2 ghz clock up to then?

10. KenshinX

KenshinX Big Geek

Depends on your board and if your board has high overclocking status. Even then it up to the luck of your draw like someone else that has your exact same mobo model may not be able to clock as high as you. Every board has different limts and this also applies to the processor as well i just got luck with my set :) and imagine this is on 512mb pc2700 i be upgrading to pc3200 soon about 1gig or 2.

11. megamaced

megamaced Geek Geek Geek!

I was under the impression that the Celeron has locked multipliers, so you can't overclock it.

Is this a recent thing, or can you overclock the celerons made about the same time as the P3s?

12. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

You don't have to have unlocked multipliers to be able to overclock, just increasing the FSB is all that's needed if you want a slight overclock.

Having unlocked multipliers is a good thing to have (Pentium 4 Extreme Edition has it so do the AMD FX-series I think) if you want to have a bigger FSB and lower multiplier to acheive the same speed that the CPU is rated at. Having a higher FSB means you can run your RAM at a higher speed (if you've got DDR500 and it's running @ DDR400 then lowering the multiplier and upping the FSB can mean it will run at it's rated speed)

FSB x Multipler = CPU speed

e.g 200 x 16 = 3200

A 200 MHz FSB in an Intel CPU is quad pumped giving 800MHz. If the RAM is DDR400 (2 x 200MHz) then the FSB:RAM ratio is 1:1 (200:200). If you have DDR500 (2x250MHz) RAM and want to run the RAM at it's rated speed with a 1:1 ratio then lowering the multiplier and upping the FSB is a good way of matching the FSB to the RAM without dramatically increasing the speed of the CPU (otherwise you've have to just increase the FSB of the CPU to 250MHz and this could mean the CPU would run at a speed which isn't stable as 250 x 16 = 4000 and this could mean a voltage increase and maybe more extreme cooling is needed).

So to keep the CPU at around 3200MHz but get the FSB to 250MHz we need to lower the multiplier to 13. (to keep it at exactly 3200MHz a multiplier of 12.8 is needed)

250 x 13 = 3250

So by lowering the multiplier you are able to keep the CPU around it's rated speed whilst haveing the FSB at 250MHz which matches the RAM speed.

I hope that explains it okay, if I've missed anything and haven't noticed then I'm sure someone will pick up on it...

(I'm a little more knowledgeable on overclocking, read a big guide on it in CUSTOMPC magazine today whilst at shool)